RC poster

Exclamation T-Maxx Engine Runs, But Won't Move...HELP!

Hi guys,

I'm new to nitro and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just purchased the T-Maxx last week and did the break in as told through the manual. I was running on my 7th tank of fuel (20% Nitro Top Fuel), got everything tuned properly, and then all of a sudden I went to start back up and the truck won't move. The engine starts up perfectly with EZ Start, idles fine and revs perfect. But my truck isn't going anywhere.

The spur gear seems to be stuck when turning it one way. It turns freely the other way. I'm guessing this may have something to do with my problem. Because I'm new to this, I am hesitant in taking apart the tranny on my own as I'm afraid I'll never get it back together properly.

When lifting the truck up, the wheels don't spin whatsoever either. So the bottom line, it was running perfect (at the park kicking up dirt, mulch and rocks), re-filled, got the engine runnning and BAM....my fun for the day was done....no movement.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I'm lost and don't know what to do. Thank you sooo much.

Todd

RC Qualifier
    You say you can't turn the tires with it off the ground by hand?
    Try shifting the truck into reverse and see if it'll move, then forward and see if it'll move.

If not then it's probably a broken tranny gear. You'll have to open it up to see.
    Member #921

RC Champion
    your diff might be locked up does it roll on the ground?
    everything i own is brushless and lipo baby

RC Qualifier
    deleted post

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this prob isint the problem but is the tranny in gear. Look at the servo and see if it pulls that little silver pin all the way out or pushes it all the way in
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes it sounds to me like it's stuck in neutral...
    complete n00blet

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskony
    Yes it sounds to me like it's stuck in neutral...
    He says the spur will spin one way but not the other. If it were in neutral then it would spin both ways.

If it were stuck in gear it would still move...

I would take the transmission apart and see if anything inside broke.
    Snow

RC Champion
    Can you roll the truck?

RC poster
    The truck rolls fine both ways without any restrictions. When I said the wheels won't turn, they won't turn at all when you rev the engine.

When I go from forward to reverse, I can clearly see the servo pull the pin both ways completely. So I'm still in the same situation. The spur gear goes one way, but not the other. It's tightened as much as I can tighten and then loosened about 1/6th.

Any other suggestions before I either attempt taking this apart myself or bringing to my LSH and pay an arm and a leg to have it fixed? Thank you guys so much.....I'll be here all day.

Could be the shoes in the clutch bell as well. The spur should spin freely in both directions. Pull the motor by unscrewing the motor mount from the under side of the chassis and disconnecting the wiring harness and linkage from carb. Now see if the spur gear spins freely in both directions. The spur rides on the clutch bell. Try and spin the clutch bell with the motor out. Does it spin freely or does it bind up. Start there and keep posting.
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC Qualifier
    I'm feeling tranny issue.
    Mine did the same thing and ended up being a bust gear but only was missing just a couple teeth.
    Member #921

RC poster
    Ok....so I opened up the tranny and come to find out, the primary gear had 3 broken teeth. So I thought great!! I went to my LHS and picked up a replacement and put everything back together. I started it back up, and now I have no brakes and it won't go in reverse (not that I care too much about that), but the braking thing.....that can tend to be an issue. Any thoughts on what I may have done to now not have any brakes?

I didn't realize how much patience you need to have when owning one of these!!! I'm about ready to sell the thing on ebay!! HELP!!

RC poster
    Nevermind the braking thing.....I realized when I put back together the tranny I didn't place the rod in first then the piston, so nothing was puching the calipers onto the disc....if that makes any sense. I haven't tried fixing it yet, but I'm confident that was the issue.

Now for the "no reverse" issue....is this something I should be concerned about and have corrected, or should I just go with it?

RC Qualifier
    don't do it . there is a lot of head aches but that is how you learn to fix a problem. i too have a break problem and a reverse problem (no rev) but i would never sell my truck it makes my 9 yr. old girl to happy. just one smile from her makes it worth any problems .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbizkit
    Now for the "no reverse" issue....is this something I should be concerned about and have corrected, or should I just go with it?
    Good to see you got the brakes figured out. how bad do you want reverse? If not, then go with the FOC (forward only conversion). Removes all the reverse gears out of your tranny. Less moving parts=more responsive tranny. I waited a long time before doing this, should've done it a long time ago.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mudridin'
    Good to see you got the brakes figured out. how bad do you want reverse? If not, then go with the FOC (forward only conversion). Removes all the reverse gears out of your tranny. Less moving parts=more responsive tranny. I waited a long time before doing this, should've done it a long time ago.
    I agree with mudridin, I was hardcore into my reverse cause I was a basher. But one day I found a deal on a transmission with a FOC installed and went for it. Installed the FOC into my transmission and never went back. It was worth the extra speed and less parts to go and grab my truck every once in a while when I got stuck aginst something.
    Snow