RC Champion

What's the difference between 540 and 550 motors?

I've read that a stock Titan 12T which is a 550 size motor is the same at 15T 540 motor.... What's the difference... Are 540 motors pretty much the norm? Pretty much everything out there I've seen are 540's. Are the Titans basically a modified 540 motor. How much better would a 12T 540 motor be than a 12T 550 Titan? Could I use 12T 540's (something like this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLRE4&P=7) on XL-5 ECS?
    Thanks a bunch, and sorry for being a n00b...

RC Champion
    The 550 motor is bigger than the 540 motor (different animals).
    The titan comes as a 550, which is not a 540.
    A 12T 540 would not be gearable (correctly) in a stampede.

So, the Titan 12T 550 works with the supplied ESC and a 15T 540 motor (or higher, such as 17T or 19T) will also work with the supplied ESC.

You may want to look at the Orion line of 540 motors (17T , 19T ) to replace your titan. If you do a search for "orion" you'll find plenty of posts to read up on.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info...
    When you say "a 12T 540 would not be gearable in a stampede", is that because of their (540 motors) higher RPMs??? I've seen somewhere that a Titan 12T runs at about 21.5k and the 12T 540's I've seen run at 35~40+k rpm... Is that the main problem here?
    Thanks again.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mzs_biteme
    Thanks for the info...
    When you say "a 12T 540 would not be gearable in a stampede", is that because of their (540 motors) higher RPMs??? I've seen somewhere that a Titan 12T runs at about 21.5k and the 12T 540's I've seen run at 35~40+k rpm... Is that the main problem here?
    Thanks again.
    Typically for a 540 motor, one uses 2 teeth less than the turns of the motor in order to keep it running at the right temp. Higher gearing means heat.
    For a 12T 540 motor, you'd need a 10 tooth pinion, which isn't really feasible.
    Also, the ESC is only rated for 15T 540 and higher.

Just FYI, RPMs are not an issue, since brushless motors can hit rpms even higher than 40K.
    Last edited by vashon10; 05-02-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    ------

RC Champion
    What if I got this ECS ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU0&P=7 ) with this 12T 48p pinion ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX10&P=7 ), and a 90T 48p spur gear, with this motor ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNRBE7&P=G ), and 7-cell 4500mAh pack...??? Should be doable right...
    Wheelie's galore, heh...

Keep in mind that lower turns = more top speed and less wheely powering torque.
    99%er

RC Champion
    What if I got this ECS ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU0&P=7 ) with this 12T 48p pinion ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX10&P=7 ), and a 90T 48p spur gear, with this motor ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNRBE7&P=G ), and 7-cell 4500mAh pack...??? Should be doable right...
    Wheelie's galore, heh...
    I haven't used that ESC or motor, but with the total $$$ you're talking about, you could get a BL (brushless system) and get lots of power, torque and no motor maintenance. The mamba system (motor and esc) is around $180 and for example the MM5700 can use up to 12 cells.
    Last edited by vashon10; 05-02-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    ------

RC Qualifier
    I've read that a stock Titan 12T which is a 550 size motor is the same at 15T 540 motor.... What's the difference... Are 540 motors pretty much the norm? Pretty much everything out there I've seen are 540's. Are the Titans basically a modified 540 motor. How much better would a 12T 540 motor be than a 12T 550 Titan? Could I use 12T 540's (something like this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLRE4&P=7) on XL-5 ECS?
    Thanks a bunch, and sorry for being a n00b...
    from what I understand 550 and 540 represent the size of the motor can. The 550 is a little longer and usually provides more torque since it allows a longer armature magnets and so forth. The diameter of the motors are usually the same. If you were to compare the 12T 540 with the 12T 550, I would say that the 550 would provide more torque with the same amps. Not to say that the 540 would have less torque but it would pull more amps to do it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vashon10
    I haven't used that ESC or motor, but with the total $$$ you're talking about, you could get a BL (brushless system) and get lots of power, torque and no motor maintenance. The mamba system (motor and esc) is around $180 and for example the MM5700 can use up to 12 cells.
    I presume the $180 is e-Bay pricing... I know tower.com has them listed at $212... Anyways, that $70 dollar motor is kinda of an upper limit for me. I don't really know what it's capable of compared to Titan, but I know there are plenty motors between $30~50 that are more then enough to surpass Titan, with the right ECS and battery pack. So essentially what I'm looking at is the best ECS/motor combo for about $100, that will put Titan to shame...

i wouldent go any lower than a 15t in a pede

12/90 would be overgeared....it would need to be 10/86 or 12/93

RC Champion
    With 15T 540 motor (capable of ~31k rpm), and 12/93 gearing, the top speed would be ~20mph (according to GearingSpeed2 calculator I download from here few days back). So, would I be right to presume that with that gearing, it would have a heck of a kick-start factor (wheelies) and still end up with respectable top speed?
    Thanks again.

RC Champion
    I presume the $180 is e-Bay pricing... I know tower.com has them listed at $212... Anyways, that $70 dollar motor is kinda of an upper limit for me. I don't really know what it's capable of compared to Titan, but I know there are plenty motors between $30~50 that are more than enough to surpass Titan, with the right ECS and battery pack. So essentially what I'm looking at is the best ECS/motor combo for about $100, that will put Titan to shame...
    Not ebay, it is Bishop Power Products that sells it for that price. The total for the esc and motor you referenced added up to $145 before shipping, so I was just going on that. That exceeds your limit by $45. When that motor wears out, you'll end up buying another, which over time a BL system pays for itself.

So I'll go back to my original mention of the Orion motor to check out.
    Last edited by vashon10; 05-02-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    ------

RC Champion
    Well, it sure makes the MMax look a bit more enticing at $180 than $212 or more at some other dealers... One thing that's stopping me from doing that (for now anyways) is I already invested about $150 in batteries/charger in the last 4 weeks alone.... And I figure, if I'm gonna go with the best (MMax's), I might as well get the best batteries -> LiPo's. That would be a min $100 for 2 packs and ~$50 for charger... So we're looking at $300 after shipping.... Ouch.... This hobby can get expensive... I know I can run NiMh's with MMax setup, but that's like a sin.... :0

RC Racer
    I presume the $180 is e-Bay pricing... I know tower.com has them listed at $212... Anyways, that $70 dollar motor is kinda of an upper limit for me. I don't really know what it's capable of compared to Titan, but I know there are plenty motors between $30~50 that are more then enough to surpass Titan, with the right ECS and battery pack. So essentially what I'm looking at is the best ECS/motor combo for about $100, that will put Titan to shame...

its not a ebay price...but i know were they sell it for 155. thats the cheapest mm system ive seen. it wasnt ebay either

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_kevin
    its not a ebay price...but i know were they sell it for 155. thats the cheapest mm system ive seen. it wasnt ebay either
    I already told mzs_biteme that it was not an ebay price. And the place you're thinking of only has the MM7700 system (esc/motor) in stock, not MM5700 system.
    http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...y.asp?catid=54
    Last edited by vashon10; 05-02-2007 at 06:04 PM.
    ------

RC Champion
    $155!!!! Wow.... You guys sure are giving my wallet an itch... Not cool man, not cool...
    Great linkage though... Thanks!!!

Well, it sure makes the MMax look a bit more enticing at $180 than $212 or more at some other dealers... One thing that's stopping me from doing that (for now anyways) is I already invested about $150 in batteries/charger in the last 4 weeks alone.... And I figure, if I'm gonna go with the best (MMax's), I might as well get the best batteries -> LiPo's. That would be a min $100 for 2 packs and ~$50 for charger... So we're looking at $300 after shipping.... Ouch.... This hobby can get expensive... I know I can run NiMh's with MMax setup, but that's like a sin.... :0
    No, not so much a sin. As I posted before in a deleted thread, if you want to blow away a 10-turn motored Stampede using the same RS GP3300 batteries, the MM7700 is great. It's close until you pull the trigger more than half-way. Scary enough that I'm making 7-cell packs, with no plans for 8-cells. Here's an idea, get the 7700 system at PFM, and a 5700 motor, too. You'll have the best of both worlds, AND an empty wallet!

And you're welcome for the spreadsheet. I'm glad somebody's using it. Just take the speed part with a lot of skepticism.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    No, not so much a sin. ....
    mamba with nimh monday-saturday, church on sunday !
    ------

RC Champion
    Well hey, thanks for the spreadsheet(s)...!!! Great to see somebody contributing back to the community this way...
    Going back to motors, ECS's and such, I actually have this ( http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1729 ) 7cell pack shipped to me this week, for some street under-steer action... . At this rate, I'll have to mount a counter weight on my front bumper to get some of the control back... It's funny how with my strongest pack so far ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLFW4 ), if I'm just running the Pede in circle with full left or right turn, at let say 25% throttle, and then I just punch it, the Pede will go in a straight line for about good 15~20 feet with the wheels still turned before they get enough traction to actually steer the truck... I'm almost used to it and can pretty much figure out where I'm gonna end up... I’m almost in full control of an out of control RC car... Hehe
    Last edited by mzs_biteme; 05-03-2007 at 12:43 AM.