RC Enthusiast

Getting a forklift license without a job?

How can I get a forklift license? I know how to drive one, but I've never been licensed. There's a lot of jobs in my area that require forklift driving, but they all want you to already have a license.

For those that don't know, basically how it works is you take a ridiculous written test and a "road test" (not on a road..), with the company you work for. They give you a license. OSHA requirements.

I know everything I need to know to drive one, and even to pass the test, but i've just never driven one.

And I need a job badly.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well here you got to have a job a forklift operator to get your license,the examiner will come at your workplace to do the test!!!I know it does not have much sense but its the law!!!I know how to drive one and it is very easy even easier than a bobcat!!!
    Jack of all trades,master of none!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by speedymaxx
    Well here you got to have a job a forklift operator to get your license,the examiner will come at your workplace to do the test!!!I know it does not have much sense but its the law!!!I know how to drive one and it is very easy even easier than a bobcat!!!
    Yeah, but you already have to have the license to get the job.

It's kind of a catch22.

RC Qualifier
    Most Fork lift rental companies will do the exame, so your best bet is to find a local rental company and use them. It isn't an official license, it is a certificate! I am certified on a fork lift, sky track, scissor lift, and a few others. Good luck
    /_|,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)=0=)_)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just asked a friend who owns a warehouse,they usually call the guy and ask him to come to the warehouse,then they do an "unofficial" test.If the guy knows his stuff they will allow him to do the "official" test in the warehouse!!!This is done here but it may be different there!!!

RC Qualifier
    We don't require a "licence" here either, I just have to watch a video and take a 20 question test every year. There isn't a statewide licence or anything, just job training.

Give your local unemployment office a try, they may know what to do or where to go to get a licence.
    Last edited by marojato; 03-19-2007 at 11:03 AM.

RC Champion
    i'm licensed for forklift, skyjacks, and articulated material handlers here in ontario and i'll tell you, the test is a joke,lol

basically, you watch a movie, the instructor pretty much gives you the answers and you drive for him

as for the driven, if you don't flip the machine over or go through a wall you pass,lol it's a huge scam by the government here to take just a little more of our money..... man, they have a LOT of those scams, let me tell you, the canadian gov't just LOVES draining our pockets.... but it is all for good causes, you know,spending a couple hundred thousand driving a surplus of canadian geese from the toronto waterfront,to the north to free up the beaches, but the plan backfired!, they forgot one thing.......GEESE FLY!,lol who knew? the next month they were all back at the toronto waterfront,lol
    ok, this is turning into a personal rant on the gov't...... i'll stop now
    crazy canucks,lol

moto
    wandering the RC galaxy gathering knowledge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey its much easier there!!!Your luck i guess!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by motomadd
    but it is all for good causes, you know,spending a couple hundred thousand driving a surplus of canadian geese from the toronto waterfront,to the north to free up the beaches, but the plan backfired!, they forgot one thing.......GEESE FLY!,lol who knew? the next month they were all back at the toronto waterfront,lol
    Oh great. I hope you aren't serious.

RC Qualifier
    Same thing if you want to drive the big rigs. You need 2-3 years over the road experience before they will even talk to you. How do get that experience if no one will hire you?
    Some days it doesn't seem worth chewing through the restraints.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyard
    Same thing if you want to drive the big rigs. You need 2-3 years over the road experience before they will even talk to you. How do get that experience if no one will hire you?
    Weird. I always see advertisements in my area for places that advertise that the'll train you to drive a truck..

I'm going to do that if i am still in the same position I am when I turn 21.

Boone722
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyard
    Not true if you go though a Driving school and of course pass.They train you on driving(of course)shifting you get class time how to fill out logs, how to read a map and how to plan a trip.It's funny how many people don't know how to read a map(Now most companies have onboard computer to tell how to get to your pickup)How long you can drive to stay within the law.also how to shift what rpm range to be in so you mesh everything right.after you pass they help you get hired.Your pay goes with your exp but you keep your nose clean for 1-2 years you can look to the bigger companies.But a quality school can cost you 2000.00 but if you sign a contract with them they don't charge you for the training and do't forget the price of CDL endorsment.$$$ I know I drove untill I became ill bad heart and lot of other things.But you can get hired there is ways to get the lob you want.