Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

My Masterpiece P2de Build

Well I'm back.... I told you I wouldn't leave the P2de game haha. Anyways here is my new project. Its going to probably be built very slow. This P2de is going to be an extension of my artistic ability's hence the name of the build. Im starting with a stock P2de chassis (was given to me by Oaks). Im not one to sell or trade a gift. I'm not really into the aluminum ones. This build is probably going to have some people going "why". Simply because I can. I'm going to be using nothing but high quality parts on this truck.

Feel free to throw ideas out there. Who knows I might go with it. Opinions and questions are also welcome.

So I live in Seattle WA. It rains a decent amount here. This Pede WILL be water-proof, or as waterproofed as it can get. Probably going to go with the castle system unless i can find something better .

Will add pics as I go.

Thomas
    P2de ~ Ultimate Slash 4x4 ~ Bandit

RC Champion
    looks like a plan

you should go with the mmp
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    MMP isnt waterproof. I would rather buy stuff that says waterproof then void the warranty if possible.

Probably something like this if i can find one http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...dewinder3.html

Thomas

RC Champion
    oops i thought the mmp was waterproof because the mmm and the sw3 are

what motor are you thinking about using

RC Qualifier
    OOOOOOOOO the 1/8th scale mamba monster is WATERPROOF..... i didnt see that. I think i would need to do an extended chassis at that point though. Which i dont think im willing to do. I know ive seen some people with 5mm shaft engines. Can anyone chime in?

Thomas

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    Yea I was hoping him specifically chimed in, i think diggerpede might have did it also but i could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I'm sure absoloot will chime in, he's pretty active.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    My Toro has a 5mm shaft- Robinson has 48p 5mm bore pinions, or you can convert to 32p. I use a Hot Racing 32p 54t steel spur with the correct dish, so I can run a gear cover if I want. You can get a waterproof Hobbywing SC8 ESC/Tenshock four pole 550 combo for about $120, and it will flat smoke the MMP/3800kv combo everyone loves so much. The Hobbywing BEC is much better than the MMP BEC, so it will run even a Savox 1258 without glitching.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Not sure what significance the shaft size has to you but I've changed all my castles over that come with 3mm to a 5mm. I had snapped a 3800 and a 2400 shaft that were 3mm on each motor. It wont happen on a 5mm. If you wanted to run a monster2 with a stock length chassis you could, their is no reason to extend the chassis other than performance gains because you wanted to. The 3800 and 2400 can put some quick power down so an extended chassis would help keep the front down. Lots of guys here simply learn to be lite on the trigger rather than wheelie out off every stop and go. Its only gets really tricky when your trying to get full speed and the power kicks in on ya, stock chassis go up quick, extended have a bit easier time with this power burst moment.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    @blaster Waterproof is a requirement. Id rather buy castle any day due to there warranty and customer service.

@dread I thought the shaft size had something to do with how large the motor was but I realized I was wrong. I know all about throttle control. I think Im probably going to stick with the sv3.

My last pede I got to 55mph before I sold it. Ill break 60 this time. I know what you mean when the power kicks it up, it happened a lot.

Thomas

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing SC8s are waterproof, and warranty in the states is handled by Falcon Seido, or something like that. It has been my experience that Hobbywings are more reliable and require much less warranty repair than Castles. I was very surprised by this when I started working at a LHS. Even if price were a non-issue, the performance of the Hobbywings would sway my decision- various rebrands (Speed Passion, Orion, Murf Dogg, etc.) are the ESCs of choice among many racers, and there is wide availability of different software for different applications. Further, for the price of a MMM, you can get a top-of-the-line Hobbywing, with more power handling (120a), turbo, boost, strong BEC, and an array of tuning adjustments that just don't exist for Castle products. I'm not saying that Castle is bad- I'm just saying that there are more choices out there than VXL or Castle.

RC Qualifier
    I will look into hobbywing and see what i think. Im not writing them off.

UPDATE:

Stock Chassis

Battery compartment removal

Inserts

Inserts installed

This is how it is now before sanding it. May have added a bit of strength as well.

Thomas

RC Champion
    Good to know you were able to ride out that rough patch, Thomas, and glad to see the chassis is till going to be put to good use. I'll be keeping an eye out for this truck as its going to be neat seeing how much similar or different this one will be from the last. As for the whole brushless combo thing - my vote is for the one that can handle 3S and run a long can 550 motor. As much as I love the 2400, I might even like my 2800 a hair more and the idea of that tenshock 3500 on 3S sounds insane to me man. Good luck with the build. Also, you can rock an extended chassis by using two stockers. I think it was dgillespie who added a second section like the one behind the battery pack to the back of a chassis. Not a bad way of doing it and there's also the rag6 mod too.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Hobbywing SW8 ESC with a Tenshock V2 SC410 3800kv motor with 5mm shaft. I'm currently running a 17 tooth pinion and a 86 tooth spur gear. The ESC came with a cooling fan. The motor was only warm to the touch running 3s Lipo. Got the ESC, Motor and A Hobbywing Program Box for $139.00. Amazing power and speed. Like you I'm slowly building up My P2de. I'm curious to see how your build comes out....
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Ramflames, I'm running 16/54 or 14/54 with my 4600kv on 2s, and it's nuts! Yours on 3s must be a missile!

Tagar, those little filler pieces are neat. What made you think of that?

RC Qualifier
    Looking at the chassis and thinking god thats horrible looking. Granted in the plain form now it is as well but its fictional. Great place to put some lead weights. The epoxy I used is probably stonger then the plastic itself. It also simplifys the look.

I dont plan on leaving it naked. Im not going to say what I'm going to do just yet but some might like it. Some may not.

Oh and ive made unique pieces before. For instance I built a functional air intake for my vxl and mmp set up on my last build. It was really cool you could feel the air going through it and it amplified the soubd of the fan. Both esc's stayed very cool.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Alright here is the chassis, either you like it or you dont

Sticker bombed my chassis

Thomas

RC Champion
    thats all stickers?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    Yep, a lot of stickers. stuck on with some spray adhesive

Thomas

RC Champion
    looks cool

are you going to do the whole truck like that

RC Champion
    I like it but I'm wondering how it will hold up especially in water.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    No just the chassis and a couple parts.

Im in the process of finding a sealant. I thought about that before i did it but i did it anyways

Thomas

RC Champion
    Maybe something like that waterproof spray for boots? I'm not sure if it would adhere or not.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    i was thinking more on the lines of like a clearcoat or soemthing

RC Competitor
    ok a little out of my element here,but how about the clear stuff they use to make artsy table tops at bars & diners? you know,like when stuff is "buried" in the table top? would that maybe work? great idea & great looking chassis! i think you can get the stuff ar arts & craft stores.

RC Qualifier
    hmm possibly. I would want to make sure whatever i put on doesnt make the plastic brittle.
    Thomas

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Very cool original thread. Hard to find stuff no one has done. Weather I like it or not, kind of have a feeling that the originality will win me over. Keep it up!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    make sure if you use that clear stuff you dont put too much in the battery tray most lipos just fit as it is
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

AWESOME!!!! I LOVE your chassis.... Especially from the bottom. I think u should have dye'd it first, so the showing parts were black... BUT.... thats not saying much cuz it still looks awesome. I really love that, and kind of wish I thought of it

You could do the chassis, than the Truck body could have a tag, (graffiti) type design, and that would be AWESOME! If you do that though, rims must be black. No chrome!!!! Well.. with that chassis, U gotta get bling outta there, and go for that murdered out/skater look.

Well done!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Yea I thought about dying it after

There will be a bit of blind unfortunately like an aluminum bulk head, Trans, shocks.

I can always do a differebt chassis down the line and swap it out

I want to do something different then the derperados and trenchers but there so nice.....

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Look into the new 2.8 mashers. They are pretty awesome.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tagar89 View Post
    I want to do something different then the derperados and trenchers but there so nice.....

Too bad the F11 wheels are only in 3.8". I'm sure they will come to 2.8" in the near future if you really want something new.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    Alright found a sealant, just an enamel because the epoxy was to think.

'

The gloss came out so nice, pics don't give it justice

This was a very timely process, overall im very pleased with it. I think i have the whole truck planned out

Thomas

RC Qualifier
    Love what you did to the chassis. Your thinking out side the box. I never would have thought to do this.....
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Update

Absolute, I think im going gunmetal on all the aluminum parts. As close to murdered out as I can get haha. I think I finally picked my wheel tire combo but im saving that info for when I buy them

RC Qualifier
    Update: Front a arms almsot finished, need a couple more coats.

Thomas

RC Qualifier
    This.is.sick!!!! I will be following this! When its done you should enter it in readers rides!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you, Im really pleased how its turning out

Where is the readers ride section?

Thomas

RC Champion
    Wow, really like the a-arms. Can't wait to see more.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2