RC Enthusiast

venom racing smart temp

The Venom Smart Temp includes a Temperature Monitor with peak temp memory, Traditional Radio Fail Safe, Digital Voltmeter and the industry's first Overheat Fail Safe with programmable Throttle Limiter. F/C.

does anybody have it? do you like it? is the temp accurate? have you ever needed the fail safe part? if you did, did it work?

RC Qualifier
    A smart temp is hands down the best insurance you can by for a nitro car or truck. That thing is so high tech that you wont even have a chance to use the fail safe, it has a function that cuts out your throttle servo in the event your car looses it's power, man that thing does so much stuff til it's just awesome.... Buy it!!! you want be disappointed at all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have one and the fail safe works great. However the temperature reads about 20 degrees higher than my IR gage says.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Racer
    I also have the Smart Temp. and really like it. Just remember to use the temp numbers as a guide and not 'gospel'. I set the overheat fail safe for 270F. That way if the motor won't rev up, I'm at the limit and either need to richen the HSN or low on fuel. Works for me. Later, Bob
    www.thewheeliewagon.com
    I get to drive this one!

RC Enthusiast
    How do you guys have your venom setup temp wise? and all of the other configurations like the voltage.

I wne tthrough 2 of them and lots of time with their tech Patrick on the phone.
    1. It's not that smart.
    2. It does not read the temperature the way the mfrs of these motors refer to. Since it measuer the temp from outside the cooling head, 180 degrees away from the exhaust port. Mfr's refer to temps from the glow plug area and they read totally different. This was agreed by their tech that the temps will not reflect what a handheld guage reads cause of it's location.

So they read anywhere from 20-40 degrees higher than what any handheld does. So you can not use it as a temp reference.

IMHO Venom regular failsafes work excellent, the smart temp is junk. It currently reside at my local trash dump. Use a handheld temp guage anda regular temp guage.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    I have my all the other settings at the default setting. While I may not have as much experience as some of the guys on here, I will stand by my desion to use the Smart Temp as only a guide for tuning. At least with the Smart Temp, the tempature is read at the same spot all the time. Because of human error it is hard to say that of almost all the other temp guns. Later, Bob
    www.thewheeliewagon.com
    I get to drive this one!

RC Qualifier
    If your looking for an onboard temp gauge that isn't off by 20 get the traxxas gauge.I check it with my duratrax handheld and have never seen it off by more than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I have my all the other settings at the default setting. While I may not have as much experience as some of the guys on here, I will stand by my desion to use the Smart Temp as only a guide for tuning. At least with the Smart Temp, the tempature is read at the same spot all the time. Because of human error it is hard to say that of almost all the other temp guns. Later, Bob
    The infrared beam is a pretty wide beam, as long as your 1-3" away it's gonne be a lot closer than 20-40 degrees off!

Anyways it is just a reference, but remember to verify it against a handheld temp guage cause all mfrs refer to temps measured at the glow plug.
    If your handheld is reading 220 but your, eh hem, smart temp reads 260 I would believe your handheld.

Anyways tuning is supposed to be by performance and smoke trails not temps.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    i got one and it works great.

i havnet really tested out the temp part too much yet but if i were to race i would just disable the temp fail safe part of it, but for bashing the temp fail safe is awesome just for hte simple fact that it doesnt cut the throttle completly off, all it does is limit it so you dont get to go full throttle and when the fail safe is tripped, it just limits how much the throttle can be moved up and since while basj=hing we can be hard on the motor it gets hotter then normal so its just an added safe guard to keep the fun going