My Stampede had a rather unpleasant run in with a curb the other day. Even with the Rpm bumper installed It still managed to do some damage. Apparently I clipped it at an angle. Close examination revealed a broken shock tower, brocken shock cap, and the axle carrier broke where the steering turn buvkle connects.
I wasn't terribly concerned since I've done much worse damage to the Revo and nitro sport both. I already had the rpm axle carriers and bearings waitng to be installed so all I needed was a shock tower, shock caps, and bolts to attach the shock. Thursday I had a friend pick up the bolts, and upgraded aluminum shock caps however the local htusa was out of stock on towers. No problem Friday we set about to the other htusa. No luck there either. the stampede shock tower was out of stock there, as well as two other independents. I considered ordering an aluminum from the net but like everyone else had no patience to wait. I checked out the spec pages looking for some alternatives. The nitro stampede and electric rusty both called for the same part. Its then the wheels started turning. The last major mod on the sport was a fibergalss tower. Could it be close. Of course not.
Not to be detered I examined and found the important body mount and shock holes lined up. With the sport out of action anyway I figured why not and marked the tower for alterations. Using a fine hack saw and grinder I modified the sport tower to size.
The new tower installed perfectly on the stampede bulkhead. I must admit the OEM design to attach the tower to the bulk head is a little suspect.
I used spacers and recycled bolts to attach everything. After reading a tidbit on another forum I looked into adding a brace on top of the tower. I would credit the author but can not remember where I saw it. Because of where the steering servo sits the shock tower has to be u-shaped. The only support is the body mounts. I believe this to be a weak point due allowing the tower to flex. I think the flex caused my shock cap to break. I added an extra 54mm turn buckle across the top. I removed the insides of the ends which allowed them to act as the perfect shock spacer.
After completing the install my front end is solid as a rock.
A couple notes.
When I installed the new shock caps they are extrmemly tight. be careful and don't strip the threads.
I also installed the rpm carriers. I searched a fair amount on the installation for these. I had to shave the back of the a arms just a bit to get the steering clearance I wanted.
I'm sure I could have waited on replacement parts, but that would have ruined all the fun.