RC Qualifier

Jato 3.3 for racing?

G'day, Just a quick question. Is the Jato 3.3 any good for off road racing? Or is it more setup just for bashing?
    I would like to race against truggys and wanted to know if the Jato will be competative against themoff road?
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Racer
    For offroad, the stock Anaconda tires suck. They are more for pavement. Once some things are changed on it, it would be a decent racer, but the only problem is it is heavy compared to a full blown carbon fiber racer. That, and it has a two speed tranny. Some places won't let you run a two speed.

It is a fun little bugger.

RC Qualifier
    Jatos can work for racing. But truggy are a completely different class. They are much faster with the 4wd and big engines.
    Revo and Jato. Starterbox is the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesilver
    G'day, Just a quick question. Is the Jato 3.3 any good for off road racing? Or is it more setup just for bashing?
    I would like to race against truggys and wanted to know if the Jato will be competative against themoff road?
    Race against Truggys? You got to be kiddin. You'd get eaten alive.

RC Champion
    The Jato can preform very well on track with other trucks in the ST class. But the AWD would give truggies a big advantage.... But if you are just racing for fun with friends ... you are fine.
    you will need new tires and unless the track is really smooth I would ditch the sway bars. also good throttle controll is needed. the 3.3 has a ton of power!
    9R

RC Champion
    you will need alot of throttle control with a jato 3.3 for racing the 2.5 some people say is still alot of engine for the track thats why some people buy .12 engines for there jatos and still get good speeds.
    fight for what you believe, no matter the risk

RC Champion
    I went with a RB V.12 for my race Jato... May even go to a lower power .12 The TRX motors will overpower the truck on most tracks... IMO
    9R

RC Champion
    Some people say theres no such thing as too much power. But for track use the Jato 3.3 is way overpowered. I dont even like running my 2.5 on the track. Im probably going to go down to a O.S. .12. Maybe the race tuned version.
    Live now, not then.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 3.3 overpowers the Jato on most paved surfaces...not to mention off road. Even the 2.5 is too much power. On pavement, my Jato 2.5 lights up the tires up to 30mph...Imagine what a 3.3 does on dirt...

The 3.3 Jato will destroy anything in a drag race, but it is way to much power to be competitive on a track.

The Jato is actually more powerful than a truggy. Most truggies have .21-.28 sized engines, but they weight like 8 pounds or so. A Jato weights about 4.5 in race trim and has a .20 (the 3.3 at least). The Jato has a huge advantage in power to weight ratio. Where the truggy will destroy the Jato is in the corners. The fully diffed 4wd truggy can grab full throttle exiting a corner, and all the power will get put down and it will rocket off. Grab full throttle out of a corner (or even going straight) and the 3.3 will light up the tires like christmas...
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Qualifier
    yea prety much whats a good truggy any one know cause im loooking into that or a revo.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info.
    This might be a silly question but I have to ask,
    Is it at all possible to put a front diff in the Jato to make it 4WD?, If so I think this might make it handle the corners better.
    Is this possible or just a stupid question?
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Champion
    you would have to completely re-design the truck. It could be done, but you would need the right equipment and tools. would more than likely be rather pricey to do.
    9R

RC Competitor
    For off-road racing the best Traxxas has against the Truggy's is the Revo --Period.

Nitro truck class we run are:
    2wd <.21 (Jato) 5-6 drivers enter - fairly layed back
    4wd <.21 (Revo) 12-14 drivers enter - mad house and quick
    4wd >.21 Buggy 4-5 drivers enter - serious fast
    4wd >.21 Truggy 4-5 drivers enter - serious nuts fast
    (The Buggy drivers were having some cheese with their wine so we had to make two mains)

The best I finished with the Jato3.3 was second. It's way to hard to control all that power. Smaller motors have less chance of you spinning the tires. But the Jato still is multifaceted. I just loaded it down with weight for traction and it worked better.
    ROAR = .12 motor not .20
    You won't even be competitive against other trucks in your truck class.

I run the X1-CRT but I have more fun when the wife lets me run her Revo3.3.
    RSRevo3.3 , RSJato3.3, (2)RC18B FT

RC Enthusiast
    jatos arent even ROAR legall.. it has 2 speed which is a noo noo in the racing world.. if u want 2 race.. id say get a nice xxx-t or rc10gt.. i used to race with the rc10 and it was a blast.. alot slower then the jato, i keep my jato for stricly bashing..

RC Champion
    the jato can be made roar legal very easily.
    9R

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jato4life2
    yea prety much whats a good truggy any one know cause im loooking into that or a revo.
    Well, the Jammin CRT is good, but the Kyosho M777 ST-R is one of the best IMO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    G'day, Just a quick question. Is the Jato 3.3 any good for off road racing?

You're over a pond or two from me down there in Australia. I was recently racing my 3.3 JATO at a cool little, no rules, Outlaw track in Texas. The 3.3 in my JATO was perfect for it. If you don't have anything like that in your neck of the woods, maybe you and some friends could think about building one?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Revo
    The 3.3 overpowers the Jato on most paved surfaces...not to mention off road. Even the 2.5 is too much power. On pavement, my Jato 2.5 lights up the tires up to 30mph...Imagine what a 3.3 does on dirt...

The 3.3 Jato will destroy anything in a drag race, but it is way to much power to be competitive on a track.

The Jato is actually more powerful than a truggy. Most truggies have .21-.28 sized engines, but they weight like 8 pounds or so. A Jato weights about 4.5 in race trim and has a .20 (the 3.3 at least). The Jato has a huge advantage in power to weight ratio. Where the truggy will destroy the Jato is in the corners. The fully diffed 4wd truggy can grab full throttle exiting a corner, and all the power will get put down and it will rocket off. Grab full throttle out of a corner (or even going straight) and the 3.3 will light up the tires like christmas...
    The Jato might have a better power to weight ration, but it can't put it to the ground. Remember, buggies and truggies have 4WD and therefore have twice the traction in all conditions.

RC Qualifier
    i only bashed with my 2.5 now that its blow im going to get a 3.3 and race and i think it would kill on the track