RC Competitor

Easy start question

Ok I know I should get an igniter and pull start..... but I haven't done that yet, so the question I have is this, I have the 2.5 and when I hit the started it turns the motor over once or twice then it's like it disengages and the starter motor spins freely. Is there an adjustment I can make or is that just the way they work. This is my first nitro.....

RC poster
    if it seems like its turning the engine over and then stops, but the motor on the easy start keeps spinning, then its the one way bearing in the easy start. about a $20 fix.

RC Qualifier
    you may be able to salvage the easy start. Pull it out and soak it in some denatured alcohol. Clean it really well and dry it. put it back in and see how it does. Sometimes they get to gummed up with oil and will not engage
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Competitor
    ok ill try that, seems to do better after the engine gets primed for some reason???

does the pull start just mount in place of the ez start or is there a shaft i will need to replace also?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-27-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Enthusiast
    The pullstart just bolts on in place of the EZstart, but you'd better pick up a new one way bearing also or it's still gonna slip.

RC Qualifier
    I normally clean my one-way bearing and starter shaft with wd-40.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Competitor
    Ok, so I took everything apart and the owb seemed to work perfect, it wasI snug and only worked one way, im assuming its fine, is there any thing else that could be a problem with the ez start "spinning free" after only rotating the engine a few rpms? ??

RC Qualifier
    Could the engine be flooded? Is there fuel coming out of exhaust? Is the one way bearing installed so that the words on the bearing are facing out? Try putting a very little amount of fuel in the carb itself and work the trigger on your remote so the fuel gets in the carb and then try. Is there good compression in the motor. You can also try backing the glo plug out 1/4 turn just don't forget to tighten it back up when she starts

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained

RC Qualifier
    Also check your clutch shoes / spring and make sure flywheel is tight and bearing is good inside clutch bell. Possible your EZ start is bad as well. Pull start may be your answer. Just don't yank on the cord like a lawn mower or you will be buying more than one

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained

RC Competitor
    Ok, yea I think im going with the pullstart just seems more reliable. I have replacedclutch and spring, seems like when fuel gets to the engine and starts igniting the ez will grab and spin the engine over for seconds on end. It only seems to do it on a cold engine? ? Weird man!! It just takes about 5the minutes to start it for the first time of the day......