20 turn motor to 12 turn?

ok this has me wondering a lot that why did traxxas put a bigger motor with less turns they should have at least got a titan 20 turn to start off so we could really get power

RC Champion
    The new motor is a 550 not a 540 like the stinger was. Thus it is more like a 15-16 turn 540 motor. I have a new pede and it has plenty of power. With the optional 23 tooth pinion and 7 cells it performs wheelies on demand and has topspeed slightly over 30 mph. You would not have gotten that with a 20 turn 550.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

RC Qualifier
    Lower turns will give you more power, lower turns spins faster and you gear down and you get alot more power.
    Rustler w/ many upgrades see page 4 gallery(now mtroniks/fiegao brushless)

RC Champion
    Lower turns equal higher rpm, not neccesarily more power. Higher turn motors generally have more torque, which can then be geared lower to increase speeds. It is a balancing act finding the motor/pinion/spur combo to achieve the best results. The heavier vehicles and ones with a higher rotating mass, generally require the use of higher turn motors due to the torque needs. The lighter vehicles with lower rotating mass like touring cars don't need higher torque and can take better advantage of low turn high rpm motors.
    Last edited by TexasSP; 07-28-2006 at 10:40 AM.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

RC poster
    so for beach bASHING 20t should be better than 12t. I need some torque to get trough the sand with the sandpaws. with the stock 12t motor and 16 pinion and 90 spur, the pede does not have enough power to get to acceptable speed.

should a 20 turn motor work better??

This thread was from 2006. Motors have changed a lot since then. If you are looking to stay brushed, yes, a higher turn motor will have more torque, but good brushed motors are not as easy to find as they used to be. A brushless motor esc combo will be much, much better, and not need the crazy maintenance that a brushed motor will require running in sand.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...