Thread: RC rescue boat

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC rescue boat

Ok so i decided to make an rc rescue boat to rescue any rc boats that get stranded. I had a sheet of styrafoam so i cut out two U shapes and put them on top of each other and screwed them together. Ok. Well the design works well. Of course though i jumped into the project without much planning. Ill get pics later. But the stranded vessel will get caught by the u shape in the rescue boat. Although to do any recuing at all the boat needs to have power. I have lots of little electric motors with little gears coming off the shaft. Not looking for speed but 2 of these motors should propel the ship. THen i was going to figure out the rudder and use a 2018 traxxas servo and i would throw a traxxas receiver from my tmaxx on the ship from my tmaxx when ever the ship had a job to do. Get the picture? Well i need some ideas on the propulsion system. Like i said i have a few little motors but have no idea how to make them propel the boat. I want to keep this project free of all costs so i need stuff i have around the house or that i can quickly make. Thanx

RC Qualifier
    If you are doing it in a small pond. hook a long rope to it and drag it across the lake getting it caught in the boat. my idea w/o spending any money. not as fun though.
    Getting back into the hobby

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not as fun but it would work. But i run in a small pond sometimes and other times i will be running in a lake so that wouldn't work. Good cheap idea though. But it wouldn't work for me.

RC Champion
    So u want to basically make a pusher boat to push boats back to shore? That seems like a fun project. My idea is just take a hook and put it on the front of the boat so u can then take a rope with a tennis ball at the end and just through the tennis ball and retrieve ur boat.
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That would work but me being me i am looking for something a bit more technical. I made it so my elec toy rc tiger boat could reverse to power it. It will work for now but if anyone else has any ideas for power please LMK.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I do it the old school way... jump in and swim for it lol

But a rescue boat would be nice
    Traxxas Villain EX
    www.crfhq.com

RC Qualifier
    I give my little brother $1 and make him go for a swim even in the middle on Jan. But yea my Idea was basic, but I might try this little project, conserding I have about 10 rc boat hulls and tons of electronics. I'll get back to when I have a great Idea.

RC Qualifier
    This would be a good retrieval boat but a little expensive:
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMPG3**&P=0

If I
    Ever notice how DYING is at the end of STUDYING.....i don't think that was an accident!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a boat like the one in this ebay auction. It has a very pointy bow so its hard to just push a stranded vessel in.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikko-42-Tiger-B...QQcmdZViewItem

RC Qualifier
    Just stick a square styrofoam block on the bow and tape it on. Then you can push your stranded boat back to shore. If your boat flipped then I would try to get in a small boat, canoe (sp?), kayak, or raft of some sort.
    Ever notice how DYING is at the end of STUDYING.....i don't think that was an accident!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes i know i could do something like that but i wnat to do something a little more complex

RC Qualifier
    hmm looks like a nice project. I attempted one for a project a while back. I used a regular battery pack, a lot of balsa wood and styrofoam, a motor from a toy and a switch. It was a pool toy that you would switch on at one end and run to the other end to turn it atound before it hit the sides . Im sure if i built it again I could incorporate a rudder, servo, reciever, and esc but i think that would be too expnsive.

I feel that this needs to be addressed so please excuse me LOL.

I have read a couple of posts in this thread about swimming for a toy RC boat. Please be smart and wear a life jacket. Many people die every year trying to rescue their toy RC boat. Our Villains even have built in flotation foam. They will NOT sink. Trust me. I've given it a few accidental tests LOL.

I've had a semi-close encounter with not being able to get back after swimming after my boat. I am a very good swimmer too. I ended up going for a floating trampoline. A couple of years ago my brother had a pretty darn close encounter too. He went in after his non-Traxxas boat and I got to him in a kayak just in time. That event was enough to stop me (the person who absolutely loves to drive my Villain) from driving my Villain. I ended up finishing off the batteries and put my boat up for almost year. I don't know what I would have done if something had happened to my little brother. That thought is still with me today...

Please, be smart. Wear a personal flotation devise it the very least. I will not go out with out a kayak anymore. No matter the situation. If I have to I will wait for it to drift to shore before swimming. It's not worth my life. Electronics are replicable, but your life is not. Just remember that.

Sorry for butting in, but in all honesty I feel like I have to. If anything happened because I did not post this then I would never live it down.

Be safe everyone and happy boating,

-Tom
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanx for the warning tom. We DO need to be reminded every once in awhile that this hobby can be dangerous.

Now back to my rescue boat. I need a way to connect a small electric toy rc motor to a drive shaft and prop. I got a driveshaft and prop off a pool toy i took apart cuz it broke due to water shorting it out. Any ideas on how to connect 2 steel shafts?

Some sort of tubing will work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm at first i rejected ur idea But........ if it was really tight on the shafts it might just work. I am not going that fast anyway. Thanx cooleocool.

RC Qualifier
    How did you almost not make it?

I've swam a pretty far distance, if you get tired just float for a while, lol
    Traxxas Villain EX
    www.crfhq.com

RC Racer
    Morning everybody!
    There has been a good deal of discussion about this on rc universe. I will have to look for the link, however many people have constructed rescue boats along the same U shaped hull. One even has a mixing motor to lift a net platform to get your boat out of the water so electronics suffer a less damaging fate.

I agree with Tom, no matter how strong or good of a swimmer or try to float and then proceed. After being a life gaurd in Florida I suggest getting a raft of somekind or a life jacket as mentioned. I picked up a raft at my sports store.
    raft at local store $25
    oars for the raft $10
    pump for the raft $12
    knowing you will make it back without screaming for help or having that worry feeling of I'm tired = pricelesssssssss

I will get that link for you today for the rescue boats, it rocks. Fun to build I bet as well.
    Hold on to this for me! I'm Gonna try somthing I saw in a movie once!

RC Champion
    I use a zig zag racer and it comes with an attachment to play a water game it a little ball. The attachment works great and those little boat have a lot of torque. I bought mine off eBay fro $25. It was used as a demo boat for a weekend expo and the guy just wanted to get rid of it.
    ???

RC Qualifier
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4331688/tm.htm

heres a thred about it, might want to read it

btw i use a tug with a rc crane on it, with a REALLY strong magnet on it, and a coresponding magnet on the boat, drags in my gas boat going the other way!! (even on full throttle!!)
    This sig is no longer than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    I never knew that some one could die because of rc, but that guy sould have waited untill the race was over. Why risk your life for a simple rc boat. Just wait. and he sould of had on a live jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by kraz
    How did you almost not make it?
    I almost did not make it out to my brother in a kayak. I am very glad that I am a very fast kayaker. Otherwise... Well, you get the idea. In my instance the boat was heavier than I though full of water. I was not at my house where I always have a kayak on hand.

Sorry about the thread RC Mechanic LOL.

The tubing will work. As long as you are using a slower motor and smaller prop it will be fine. Just make sure that it is a tight fit. If you want you could even add some zip ties around the tubing. I have seen it doen somewhere before and it worked well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What kind of tubing should i be looking for. I think fuel tubing might be to Big. I have a bit xtra downstairs. Ill try it and see if it works.

You know where I saw that tubing? A long time ago I had a little toy boat with an outboard and everything powered by AA's. It was not a remote or anything, but it did drive around by it self. Anyway, it stopped working ages ago and I took apart the outboard. I saw tubing connecting the little toy motor to the drive shaft. It worked great. I have also seen that done in some smaller boats...

What is your shaft size?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    frankly i don't know the shaft size. THe motors shaft size is smaller than the main drive shaft w/prop. THe shaft is roughed up so theat should help the tubing grip. I might be using a motor with a little gear on the output shaft though. I am pretty sure i can strectch some fuel tubing around it. ANd the tubing looks like it should stay on the driveshat with a few zip ties.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok well the fuel tubing fits perfectly over the main drive shaft w/prop. Now my problem is all my elec motors have these little gears on the output shaft. I can't seem to get them off. ANd the fuel tubing will not strectch over the gears. So i need another small motor or another connection idea.

The gear is probably pressed on. What I would do is take a Dremel (or similar rotary tool) and slowly cut away at the gear until you can the tubing over it. If it's going to be a rescue boat then it will probably be slow. The tubing will work in that case.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm. I guess i could try that. es i don't expect it to bo a fast boat at all. I will do this later. My new nitro vee should be coming in today. Srry to against u electric guys but i got it extremly cheap ($67 plus shipping)

Yeah... If it does not fit, make it fit LOL. That's what I do with some things. Just be sure to butt the motor shaft and the drive shaft up against each other. That will work the best...

RC Qualifier
    You can lock the gear in a vise and nock it out like this guy did here: http://www.e-maxximumrc.com/html/small_block.html

On that note here are some nice motors for the villain: http://www.e-maxximumrc.com/html/small_block.html

RC Racer
    I'd go to toys r us and buy an rc boat for like 20 bucks and rig up some kind of fork shaped thing to corner the boat and push it back...or to have even more fun... hook up a 1 to 2 inch hoop on the back of your nice boat and use a clothes hanger on your other boat so it could hook it out in the lake...just a thought.
    My Arsenal: T-Maxx 2 E-Rusties 2 RCGT10's A 4tec and an offbrand smartech buggy.

The only issue with that, whitetiger, is that then he does not get to build anything LOL.

RC Racer
    true that he could rebuild the hull though and just use the electronics
    My Arsenal: T-Maxx 2 E-Rusties 2 RCGT10's A 4tec and an offbrand smartech buggy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well looked at villian 4s link. Looks like it worth a try. Im getting caught up between 3 rc boat and a tmaxx (none of which r in running condition.) well waiting for parts for my maxx and need to run to the hobby shop later for the nitro vee. So i guess ill continue wroking on this. LMS if the vice thing will work. I don't have a bench vice like in the link bt i have another idea.

RC Qualifier
    Okay well good luck getting it out! Iv had to do that a few times before with some drill motors and other things and it sure works

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok thanx villin 4. I don;'t have any bench vices like that though. I will just go ove rto my grandparents which is like 1/2 mile down the street andd use theirs.

RC Qualifier
    okay hope it works! I know it has for me!