Hybrid View

RC Racer

How come my Revo 3.3 won't wheelie?

I'm tank no. 8 now. No wheelies. I'm still fine stuning the carb though. Today was the first day I ran it and I'm still leaning out high speed needle. Should I make some adjustments to the low speed needle? It responds to how the manual says. Close the clip ... it runs for a few seconds, speeds up, dies. So I think I need to keep leaning out the high speed needle? Engine temps around 230 now. I had to richen it up when they hit 270. I'm not seeing tons of power like I hoped.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Umm, you need to put about a dozen tanks in after break in for the engine to wake up. Then after that it will take about a gallon for it to get to maximum potential. So until tank 12 after break in, I doubt it will wheelie.

Also, the TRX engines can naturally run pretty hot. If im not mistaken they can be safely run up to 270 degrees. Tune for 250-260. That is their sweet spot. Also, try increasing the preload on your stocks abit to help with wheeliing.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Racer
    im only on the 6th tank and mines wheelies when shifting to 2nd. all i did is tighten the slipper.

RC Racer
    Just tighten the slipper clutch. I had to loosen mine on the last breakin' tank because I was wheelie'n too much!

RC Champion
    Remeber the 3.3 also has an extended chassis, so It is harder to wheelie. But im not saying it wont when the beast is let loose from inside the engine.
    Revo- Picco .26 Red-Dot
    www.shotgunresource.com

RC Enthusiast
    HSN adjustment affects your top speed and shifting more than the LSN would. Adjust the LSN clock-wise 1/16 of a turn at a time until you get it to wheelie. Of course while doing so, watch the temp.
    REVO 2.5R - Upgrades: TRX3.3, MS Air Filter using stock neck, Trinity Hi-Flo pipe using stock manifold, LT springs all around, Wide-Ratio 16/36 with cheap Forward-Only conversion, self-tension brake pads keeps brake disc disengaged from the pads until you actually use it.

RC Qualifier
    if you want better wheelies just put on a 40 tooth spur gear the 3.3 revos are geared to high on my opinion anyway. Mine wouldnt wind up second all the way unless I had a huge huge space. The 40 spur helps it nicely
    Brushless makes everything taste better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by REVOmusMaximus
    Remeber the 3.3 also has an extended chassis, so It is harder to wheelie.
    thats the problem...extended chassis. i don't have a revo 3.3, but i do have a revo 2.5r with a 3.3, and it wheelies if i adjust all the suspension setting right. and cause the chassis isnt as long as the new revo. but i think wheelies are boring, you cant go full throttle, and actually feel the speed and power. but i'm a racer, so i might think differently than some of you guys that own it for fun use.
    -Revo 2.5r w/RB TM323 -Revo 3.3 w/Ofna Picco .26 MAXX -Jato w/O.S. .18 TM -Nitro 4-Tec w/Sirio Evo2 Turbo 5 port .12 engine -HPI RS4 Pro-4 w/Novak 5800 Brushless -Thunder Tiger EB4-S2 w/Hyper .21 8 Port Race Engine -Ofna LX Comp II w/Axial .28 -Ofna/Jammin X1-CRT Pro Truggy w/RB C6 Series -Team Losi Mini-T w/Mamba Brushless- Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport Kit w/Axial .28

RC Champion
    Don't wheelies get irritating after a while? They would amuse me for a while, until I overdo it and break something.
    Revo 3.3 mk1, Xray M18MT, LRP Shark MT

RC Racer
    are wheelies the ultimate test of the performance of a truck... have i missed something.. last time i checked you needed all 4 wheels on the ground to win races.. i see alot of people on here worried about wheelies and not being able to do it..
    S-Maxx w/2.5R, MGT w/Mach 427, and E-maxx 3905..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by s-maxx79
    are wheelies the ultimate test of the performance of a truck... have i missed something.. last time i checked you needed all 4 wheels on the ground to win races.. i see alot of people on here worried about wheelies and not being able to do it..
    Well .... yea. When your engine has the ability to lift the front wheels off the ground, it immediately tells me it's got power.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by T-maxx76
    Well .... yea. When your engine has the ability to lift the front wheels off the ground, it immediately tells me it's got power.
    Maybe, but it can also mean that you have the slipper and suspension set up to do wheelies. From a technical standpoint the Revo suspension was designed NOT to do wheelies. That's why the Revo 3.3 doesn't come with a wheelie bar and the T Maxx 3.3 does. Apparently it needs to have the wheelie bar just to be driveable with the same engine as the Revo 3.3. That ought to tell you something. If your goal is wheelies with a 3.3, the T Maxx might have been a better choice.

You can always put a bigger engine in it but all that means is that you probably have it overpowered for anything but doing wheelies.
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Qualifier
    All it tells me is you need to learn how to better set up a truck. Racing and wheelies is bad.

My 18TZ will yank the wheels up on a 2.5 or 3.3 chassis no problem when its set up wrong. First thing, check the suspension springs and oils and ride heights. Next move on to slipper settings. Right now I can jam full throttle and no wheelies, heck I was racing this weekend with a guy with a .27 Sirio 11 port, no wheelies. It's all in set up.

I helped set up a new 3.3 RTR and it wheelies box stock set up, its all in the tuning of the engine and slipper. But he got bored of bashing and came out to race and is now hooked, so I spent a good few hours Sunday teaching and showing him what to change and such.

Squat and go wins...wheelies lose.

RC poster
    wow this is my first time to this site but it appears we have some serious mini monster gearheads here!!! Awesome!!!

RC Racer
    Yea, I was kinda wondering why my Revo 3.3 didn't have a wheelie bar. Well thanks guys. Basically you're saying that the Revo 3.3 doesn't wheelie and you shouldn't want it to either. I put a 3.3 in my T-maxx, and yea, I can't keep the front wheels on the ground. That's why I was worried there was something wrong with my Revo.
    Last edited by T-maxx76; 05-29-2006 at 06:04 PM.

RC Champion
    Yea, I was kinda wondering why my Revo 3.3 didn't have a wheelie bar. Well thanks guys. Basically you're saying that the Revo 3.3 doesn't wheelie and you shouldn't want it to either. I put a 3.3 in my T-maxx, and yea, I can't keep the front wheels on the ground. That's why I was worried there was something wrong with my Revo.
    Yea no worries. the extended chassis is whats doing it. You still can gear it to wheelie, but the 3.3 seems to be directed towards racers and bashers. The racer part being extended chassis and which prevents wheeling so easy, which racers want.
    Revo- Picco .26 Red-Dot
    www.shotgunresource.com

RC Racer
    Lost somewhere in a cornfield of Illinois!
    well, with my Revo 2.5r with the 3.3 engine, it wouldn't wheelie while on pavement (unless I was turning a slight bit) but when on grass, it easily would go to the roof, and even pull the front wheels up hitting 2nd gear.

It is definatly fun the first couple of dozen times but after that, I like keeping all 4 on the ground.
    Life is like a bubble bath.....The longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get! - Garfield the cat

RC poster
    after the 8th tank or so on mine it started to really scream!I also agree that 250 260 is a sweet spot pulls the wheels right up off a dead punch

RC Enthusiast
    check your header or pipe for cracks

RC Qualifier
    Cable tie some lead wheel weights to the rear bumper,that should do it.
    I still do not undestand purchasing a more expensive harder to maintain 4 wd truck to do wheelies.

RC poster
    My Revo 3.3 wheelies after 2 tanks from break in. I didn't touch suspension etc just made sure I took my time tuning. Also all tuning was done with 1/2 a tank of fuel.
    When running at full tank it's harder to wheelie, will still do it though, but around 1/2 full where it was tuned it pops up well which I'm happy with. I agree with people that you do get sick of it easily lol.
    This all happens while I'm not running excessively lean, with temps of around 220-230. Using regular traxxas plugs.