RC Turnbuckle Jr.

How do you make a REVO go really fast?

I just upgraded my revo to a 3.3,and I want to make it go like 60 miles per hour, how do you do that? Don't tell me to get a jato or nitro 4 tec because my parents are going to go crazy. I still need to sell my s-maxx because we agreed that I would for a Revo, and instead I haven't sold it and it broke. Anyway I want to make my revo go REALLY fast. The only parts I know of that make it faster are the traxxas 36tooth spurgear, the 16 tooth clutchbell, and the wide ratio transmission. How fast will those make it go? I have seen Revo's go 60 and a t-maxx that went 80MPH! But how do you make it that fast? I plan to get progressive 2 or 3 rockers, but the 3 speed looks like it will have problems, I belive it has no slipper clutch, that's not an option for me having that much power, and because I got a 3.3 I don't have the money for a 3 speed anyway.
    Thanks,
    I need neighbors to race with!
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Qualifier
    I would think you could get a bigger clutch bell on the revo than a 16, as that would help out top speed all together. I know i have a 24 tooth clutch bell on my jato, and im sure you could find a bigger one than 16 tooth.

Anyways, also go with some bigger tires, the bigger around they are the higher the top speed, but remember, the higher you make your gearing, the harder the truck will work, possibly causing the motor to get to hot, and also have sluggish acceleration

anyways good luck
    Savage Flux, .0625 rally vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Boodaggy
    Anyways, also go with some bigger tires, the bigger around they are the higher the top speed....

One thing to remember is ballooning. At those speeds, a high sidewall soft tire will turn to frisbees, and you can easily loose control. So get bigger wheels and larger low profile tires. Don't forget a stiff suspension.

Boo is right about the clutch bell. You can get much bigger ones. You can also get smaller spur gears. I have a 35 spur and 19 clutchbell on my Revo, powdered by a .28 big block. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe 3Racing also has a 34T spur gear.

Get a more aerodynamic body.
    All metal axles for lower air drag.

Get a faster engine. Maybe the 3.3 is the fastest drop-in, I don't know.
    Remove the air filter, get a hire flow pipe. Remove the EZ-start or pullstart to remove the added (though minimal) drag of the starting system. Use 40% nitro fuel.

Now the expensive part, making it lighter. There are various free things you can do. There are many pricey things to do (chop the booxes, remove the starter, remove the bumpers, ie.e all aluminum and titanium fasteners, small high torque throttle servo, single strong steering servo. Use a spool on the tranny. Get aluminum pillow balls, rocker posts, and push rods.

Now many of the things I meantion will make you truck unversitile, and not everything I mentioned is safe, but you only want fast.
    Revo w/ FOC, Qoncepts RBBC Stage 3-Shoe, Roto-start STS .28 with 37spur/20cb, P3 suspension, Single HS-5645MG. Ti rods and pins. Ti pillow balls,Ti stub axles, and AL rocker post.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    60mph? I hope you understand one tiny mistake on steering input will result in a rollover. And at those speed, your truck will literally be torn apart.

However, if you REALLY want to, lighten it up...ALOT...

Get the biggest CB and smallest spur you can, and make sure you have a low CG, some sort of thing up front for downforce, and something in back for downforce, and a good, aerodynamic body. At those speeds...you REALLY want to be planted, or its game over.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

The largest clutch bell Traxxas makes is 17 teeth. And the spur is 36 teeth.

17 tooth clutch bell:

http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2564

Good luck hitting 60mph. Let us know if you make it. You're going to want to lower the CG as much as possible by dropping the chassis way down.

You might want a roll bar (New Era's is nice,) and/or a wing for protecting the engine and mount. The wing will give you needed downforce as BP-Revo suggested.

Professor

RC poster
    What engine was in the 80MPH Tmaxx?
    CDUB

RC Champion
    If your parents are going to go mad about you buying a 4-Tec or Jato, you might make them equally upset with the amount of money you would have to spend to make a 60MPH Revo.
    Revo 3.3 mk1, Xray M18MT, LRP Shark MT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thanks,
    I have NO clue what engine was in that t-maxx, I saw it on e-bay a long time ago, will the jato spur gear fit the REVO spurgear? on my budget I will probabally get a aerodynamic body and attach an rc airplane wing and shave it to fit properly.
    I have made my own carbon fiber body mounts and bumpers! I want to get Proline road rage tires,RPM A-arms, and a body, it will look ugly,or I'm really sure it will, but I will be happy if it has a neon orange or yellow color, maybe I should put on 170 digits of PI by getting number decals
    My parents won't get mad if they don't know how much money I spend lol, and if they don't find out I broke the bulkheads, suspension arm, suspension pin, the throttle servo, and bent the turnbuckle. And I thought it only needed a steering servo!lol
    For now, I broke the REVO's engine mount when I uh, tried to jump over a ditch, how much faster will it go for every tooth I add to the clutchbell? or for each tooth less on the spurgear?

RC Qualifier
    Since I'm a kindergarten drop-out. I do not know how will aerodynamics come into play with this. large tires alone are big resistance. 80mph tmaxx? I remember that 1/8 HPI that broke the 109+ mph record a few years back and it flipped coz wind was getting underneath the car... that car was low to the ground already. I think 60 may be manageable but not an easy path to take. One thing that one may have to think is....Then what?

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see a MT going faster than the speed limit (I think they register better on those radar guns.... in a safe, no people around, open ground place )
    All Experts were Once a Beginner...

RC Champion
    60 mph isnt gonna happen. the truck would lift up and flip over. and with the stock 2 speed you would need a higher revving engine than the 2.5, taller tires, higher gearing, and a LOT of room
    ss5800 stampede, 2.5 jato, 2.5 rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman90
    60 mph isnt gonna happen. the truck would lift up and flip over. and with the stock 2 speed you would need a higher revving engine than the 2.5, taller tires, higher gearing, and a LOT of room
    which is is exactly what this entire thread is about??? getitng upgrade parts....the truck wont flip over if the jato can hit 65 and its half the size of the revo the revo wont flip TRUST ME...you really need to do alot but its possible...a suggestion would be do everything everyone mentioned i mean turn the truck into a total race machine...only thing different would be no roll bar other then stock it will add alot of weight...buy the tekno r/c.com wing mount and the wing that you want dont use an airplane wing...also i would highly reccomend not getting the 3.3 its a great engine even though mine jsut broke and is on the ERP right now...in order to achieve that speed you need a much more powerful engine...ill give you 3 reccomnedations
    small block: os.18tz eb moddified puts out 2.3hp
    mid block:.27 pro picco puts out 3.1 hp
    big block: nova rossi .28 5rx eb modded puts out 3.4hp
    OR any .21 engine i mean theres TONS of .21s out there or if you have alot of extra money you could buy any .32 engine and get a garunteed at least 3.5hp
    TRX Revo 2.5 TMaxx 3.3 Ofna Hyper 7 PBS hpi rs4 V?

RC Racer
    I don't see it happening in a Revo with a Nitro Engine. BL would be your best bet. There would be no point to trying to gear it for those speeds since it would take you a mile to reach them. And it wouldn't be 60...

RC Racer
    use the Rad racing 3-speed, make it low and stiff. use the biggest CB and spur that you can find. and with that and plenty of room you can get to 60mph.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by darri
    use the Rad racing 3-speed, make it low and stiff. use the biggest CB and spur that you can find. and with that and plenty of room you can get to 60mph.
    the 3 speed is garbage to say the least if you knew anything youd know removal of the slipper clutch is like driving a car with out brakes intentionally...only leads to trouble...the 3 speed is a TERRIBLE concept they made if they were gunna make a 3 speed do it liekt he one for the savage an ACTUAL 3 speed transmission id put my money on it that the next thing out will be a 3 speed from traxxas....as for the 3 speed if you get it i will laugh when you come in the next day and explain that your revo is now useless u need a big block engine and proper gearing as well as HEAVY weirght reduction
    TRX Revo 2.5 TMaxx 3.3 Ofna Hyper 7 PBS hpi rs4 V?

RC Qualifier
    I have a suggestion.... rocket boosters!!!
    E-RUSTLER... on the shelf. (no speed control, and now there is no servo [transplanted in revo]) REVO... on the floor, but atleast I can still drive it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty959
    I have a suggestion.... rocket boosters!!!
    And indeed, this is not a stupid suggestion in the slightest. If you're aiming for 60MPH, you will have gone FOC anyway, which means you have channel 3 free. Estes make electronically fired rocket engines. Wire a few of these up at the back of the truck and use Ch3 to fire as and when required! Use the 'G' rocket motors, they are the most powerful.
    Revo 3.3 mk1, Xray M18MT, LRP Shark MT

RC Racer
    You just need a High End high reving .21 Engine like the new Ninja engines. Then you need to lighten ALOT, lower it, put on road tires+wing, 19/36 wide ratio gearing. Ive seem 60 before on similar setup.

RC Champion
    Heres an idea.. Put a rope(or chain) around the bumper, turn the electronics on then attach the rope(chain) to the back of a pick up(put a chair in the back bolted down to the bed) and go. If u put some wheels on the roof for when u flip at high speeds u can keep going. Simple
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Champion
    get a bigger clutch bell, and a smaller spur gear, and taller transmition gears. get bigger tires to
    traxxas revo and mini lst2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    [QUOTE=you would need a higher revving engine than the 2.5, [/QUOTE]
    I already have the 3.3, I did not wan't to install a big block kit.
    Has anybody made their revo within these speeds? please tell us if you have and how.

RC Qualifier
    In honest oppinion though, why would you really want to hit those speeds in a revo? Don't get me wrong, but to do this, you really wouldn't have a large amount of acceleration, which means that you basically would have to be in an object moving with the revo. Though theoretically it is possible (to a point) it will take a long time especially at higher speeds as the lack of the revo's good arodynamics will cause a lot of resistance. I know hitting massive speeds are fun, but it would probably be more fun to have torque over speed. Plus how much you could damage the engine and other parts trying to reach 60. But if you really do want to do it, go wide ratio 2 speed gears, and the already suggested high ratio gearing. Then hop in a car/truck/van and trail the revo on a slight downhill strip. Be sure you have a large amount of room to react to any possible problems, and don't get too close to the revo incase you flip or whatnot. Slam it too. But in counter to my previous statements of a rocket booster, you will spend a bunch of money on them cause they aren't cheap, and they are dangerous too. Don't try it.
    E-RUSTLER... on the shelf. (no speed control, and now there is no servo [transplanted in revo]) REVO... on the floor, but atleast I can still drive it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm interested to know if anybody will post something on this forum older than a week.lol
    I have had enough expierence launching rockets I think I would need some big engines,TRUST ME NEVER PUT A ROCKET ENGINE ON AN RC AIRPLANE! OR ON THE GROUND BY ITSELF!

RC poster
    all you need is power and gearing. my revo can keep up easily with a slightly modified jato. i got all the high speed goodies like tranny gears, and clutch bells, spur gears etc. the sirio 23 really turned my setup into a rocket ship. i say go for the sirio. except for the fact that parts are near impossible to find for any sirio products, i still think the sirio is amazing. If you wanna go flat out fast with a revo nd wont be bashing it, here are my suggestions.

Get a super high rpm engine. 40k rpms or better, mr ninjas will do 48k rpm, and are based on nova rossi engines.
    http://www.ninja-engine.com/content/...lang=0&engID=0

sirio 23 is good for 40k+
    www.micromotori.com/

or any high rpm nova rossi

1/10 scale truck foam tires or larger, no ballooning and extremely light, and they wont fly apart at super high speeds. get the largest diameter you can use.
    http://www.speedysracingparts.com/16a902c0.jpg

Vantage carbon fibre chassis, superlight etc

run lithium batteries, use a small one like 500 mah for drag racing. that batt should weigh about 2/10ths of an ounce or less this one weighs 8 grams
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2469

graphite/carbon fibre hinge pins and connecting rods
    http://www.jdcarbon.com/index.html

run the 34t spur gear from hot racing
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=SRVO434&c=205

theres not much else i can think of except making a smaller fuel tank and anything else you can scrap to save weight.

hope that helps some.
    Revo SWB, Sirio 23, Wide Ratio Gears, 38t sg, 15t cb, Foc, Proline Beadlocks w/ 40 series bowties.......wanna race?

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone think converting his Revo to a rear two wheel drive would help any? Not sure it is possible...I guess it is (simply remove the turn buckle connecting the front wheels). Seems to me that it would be easier to control...maybe even more power available. What do you guys think?

By the way...someone want to explain how bigger tires on an RC car automatically equate to a faster car?

Revorade....

RC Racer
    Could you put a 24 tooth clutch bell on it? Maybe a 34T spur gear? Combine them 2 with wide ratio trans? If the revo does 45 stock you would think with them gears it could do 60mph... also would want the highest RPM engine you can find. That one that someone posted earlier that turns 48k RPM sounds like a winner.

RC Qualifier
    im not sure if the 2wd would help or not but ya bigger tires will make you go fast on any car as in real cars to my dad got new tires yesterday for his truck now the speedo is off by 5 mph he will have to reprogram it i have a little stadium electric truck and i put alot bigger tires on it now its even faster i understand how it works but i dont know how to explain it i guess you could say its like putting in a bigger C/B
    Last edited by trx revo rox; 05-31-2006 at 11:53 AM.

RC poster
    Os Eb Fully Modified .18 Tz Engine, Airtronics Servos 94357 & 94358, Graphite Chasis, Tekno Rc Wing Mount With Pro-line Wing, Graphite P2 Pushrods, Trinity Hi-flow Super Pipe, Rpm Axle Carriers With Oversized Bearings, Tekno Rx/battery Box & Fuel Tank Conversion Kit, Trinity Spider 175cc Fuel Tank, Tekno Throttle Servo Mount, Mip Clutch Kit, Nocer Os .18 Cooling Head, Traxxas Aluminum Hollow Ball Set, Titanium Hinge Pins, Titanium Suspension Pivot Balls, Aluminum Rocker Arm Posts, 2 Speed Close Ratio Gear Set, Forward Only Conversion, Gtr Hard Anodixed Teflon Shocks With Tin Shafts, 40mm Aluminum Flywheel, Pro-line Anodized Aluminum Steering Arm, Heavy Duty Servo Saver Spring, Motor Saver Air Filter, Deanís Connectors, Golden Horizon Aluminum Shock Rod Ends, Dace 23mm Wheel Adapters, Flm Dif Cups With Modified Gear For 3mm Screws & Traxxas Spools Filled With 30k In Front & Rear, Team Orion Marathon 1600mah Stick Battery Pack, Spektrum Pro Transmitter And Receiver With Airtronics M11 Radio, Rd Revo Starter Box, Panther Python Mt Tire (soft), Pro-line Wabash 40 Series 23mm Wheels, A Pmb Racing 23mm Monster Truck Setup System With Pmb Racing Setup Board, Good Weather, Track With Good Grip, And Skills.

By the way...someone want to explain how bigger tires on an RC car automatically equate to a faster car?

Revorade....
    Larger wheels have a greater circumference which means more tire hits the ground per revolution. Because of this, one revolution of the drive shaft will result in a greater distance traveled, resulting in increased speed.

Professor