RC Qualifier

what is the proper order to lay down Lexan paint?

Hi all, I am a newbie to painting Lexan bodies mainly because its my first time doing so. I forgot the order in which to lay down colors, was it light first dark last, or dark first light last? If not put down in proper order, it can and will fade the black to the red making it dark. help would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    Spence

RC Racer
    Paint the dark first. Start with a good soap bath and drying. Yes the dark will affect the lighter colors.

Yup, dark first. Apply multi thin layers. I once rushed a bit and took less time and made the layers thicker. Not good. The paint stays on much better after you applied thin layers and let them dry in between.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Yup, dark first. Apply multi thin layers. I once rushed a bit and took less time and made the layers thicker. Not good. The paint stays on much better after you applied thin layers and let them dry in between.
    +1. The paint will also have a tendency to bleed around tape and window mask edges if applied to heavily.

RC Champion
    +2 Dark first and Very, Very, Light coats. Best to barely frost the lexan with paint several times rather than 2 coats for full coverage. Thicker coats will tend to crack off easier as well. Its hard not to get into a hurry, but the final results are worth it in the end.
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Normally, its dark first, but I have found that when doing fades I do the light first for better results:

I did silver, then white, then yellow then red in the bulldog body above. Also when doing fades, submerge your cans in hot water for a couple of minutes before shaking them up violently for at least 3 min. The paint will come out much smoother with a finer mist with less "spitting".

If doing fades, try lighter colors first.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier

what is the proper order to lay down Lexan paint?

I didn't skimp on paints. I got TAMIYA color not PACTRA. Will finally be painting today a little bit later, I will finish masking, do a final clean with rubbing alcohol, and do the main color which is red after I do stripes on the hood in black, and the fins black too. Wish me luck