RC Champion

RIT dye Question.

Hello.
    i was woundering if you can save your rit dye in a jar with a lid and reboil it for future use? or will it go bad and lose it's Color Density?

if anyone knows please post a replie thanks.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

Banned by Warnings
    yeah you can save RIT dye and reuse it multiple times. I dont know that you need to reboil it, i didnt and it worked for me. LOL

RC Champion
    imo, it's not worth having the chance of a gallon or so of dye to spill on something to save $3...
    My RC's: Faster than yours...

RC Racer
    Yes you can save it but like the guy above me said is it worth haveing a jug of die that could get dumped around. We use to do alot with dyeing clothes and stuff so we did keep dye around and we dumped a jug of it in the garage and it is still slitly red. So if you use it alot or might be using it agin in a couple weeks it might be worth it but otherwise it might not be.
    Stampede VXL upgraded broken stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    don't save it. i think a bottle cost 2.85. it's not worth it if it leaks or something and you ruin clothes or carpet. dump it!
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

i let mine cool completely then use a funnel to put into a 2litre / 1/2gal soft drink bottle. Of course thats how much solution it made initially (one pack dye in 2ltr water)

i have had my black,red + blue dyes for well over a year, dye'd dozens of parts including many for friends.. i just give it a breif re-boil before each use and it works great!

The chances of it leaking are extremely minimal unless you play grid iron with it or encourage your dog to chew it.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by NitroRCracer
    i let mine cool completely then use a funnel to put into a 2litre / 1/2gal soft drink bottle. Of course thats how much solution it made initially (one pack dye in 2ltr water)

i have had my black,red + blue dyes for well over a year, dye'd dozens of parts including many for friends.. i just give it a breif re-boil before each use and it works great!

The chances of it leaking are extremely minimal unless you play grid iron with it or encourage your dog to chew it.
    When you save your dye, does it fade or not color as nice after time?

RC Qualifier
    Any advanced techniques on using dye?

Ive wanted to remove the chrome from the outside rim of a wheel and dye it to get a beadlock look. Will the plastic absorb the dye or does the rit only stain what it comes in contact with? I dont want a chrome wheel with a red fade around its lip.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if your chrome is a silver chrome, the dye will give the parts an anodized look. it's really cool.

what i do when dying parts is boil the water, and once it's a boil i turn the stove off, and place the parts in. you don't need to place them long if you want light colors (2 minutes and check them). if you want darker colors you want to leave it in a little longer, about 5 minutes

Originally posted by tmaxxchump

When you save your dye, does it fade or not color as nice after time?
    nah, the colours are still as strong as the first time i used it. However you will loose a little bit of dye solution over time and you may need to add a cup or two of water to topup the bottle.

Originally posted by rustnpede
    Any advanced techniques on using dye?

Ive wanted to remove the chrome from the outside rim of a wheel and dye it to get a beadlock look. Will the plastic absorb the dye or does the rit only stain what it comes in contact with? I dont want a chrome wheel with a red fade around its lip.
    you can use acetone or el cheapo nail polish remover and a rag to strip the chrome from your rims. Wipe it on, let it sit for a minute then wipe it and the chrome off.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums