Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    3.3's are killa motaz

RC Racer

Suspension setup

Hi I'm trying to find a suitable race setup for my truck and have some questions about the suspension setup.

Suspension is everything right? ;-)

Well the Revo is pretty amasing with its great suspension but there are many parameters to take into account and there are many personal preferences.

Personally i like the idea that the truck is supposed to bottom out in the big jumps, but apparently not too much though.

What do you think? And how high can to drop the truck from without bottoming out?

RC Champion

RC Racer
    Michowski:

Hi I was thinking a bit more pure racing setup, but thanks anyway. :-)

Maybe some experienced racers possibly would share some ideas behind their setup etc. What works and not, and not at least why.

I've heard some racer leaning towards a relatively soft suspension setup making the skid plates take much of the force in big jumps, like a buggy. His idea is that the skidplates are to be weared out.

Personally I think he maybe onto something.

What do you racers think?

I've heard some racer leaning towards a relatively soft suspension setup making the skid plates take much of the force in big jumps, like a buggy. His idea is that the skidplates are to be weared out.

How stiff the suspension is set is a trade off of sorts. While stiffer may prevent bottoming out, handling will suffer in the loose areas of the track. Therefore many people tend to use a softer setup and let the skid plates take some abuse.

I heard a saying that explains this concept well. "Races are won on the ground, not in the air". Meaning that you should design the truck to handle while it is physically on the track, not catering to what might suit "big air" the best.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by keris
    Michowski:

Hi I was thinking a bit more pure racing setup, but thanks anyway. :-)

Maybe some experienced racers possibly would share some ideas behind their setup etc. What works and not, and not at least why.

That is a very pure racing setup to start with. Once you have that setup on the truck YOU need to tweak it to your liking. In steves revo guides he explains in pretty good detail what everything does and how it will react once something is changed. It takes some time but you are the one who needs to figure out what works for you. Steves basic list is just a starting point. Put that on your truck and then tweak it to your likings.

RC Racer
    Misbehavin':
    Good points, I'll keep them in mind! :-)

Michowski:
    Yes I started out with the Steve Slayden setup. It's fine to get you started but I miss taking weight, wheel offset and tire width into consideration for the suspension setup. Slayden's setup seems to be targeted towards suggested mods of a stock Revo not changing wheels/tires and weight except what weight change which follows his setup.

And as there are many paramters to take into account I just thought one would get a fair insight knowing at which drop height your race trucks will bottom out. What are the upper/lower boundaries and are there relatively small individual differences?

RC Competitor
    I love my OS 18TZ. I have a Nocer head it and a Trinity pipe. The thing runs just as fast as the 3.3 does and only runs 190 after a 20 minute main. Great power right out of the hole too.

Quote Originally Posted by lexus4spl
    Planning to get a new motor soon...

Narrowed it down to a EDMod os.18(maybe TNTmods) or the Trinity "Drake" edition motor. Don't how good Trinity engines are. Any thoughts?

If I end up getting the .20 drake will I be able to stay in the stock class or be force to go to unlimted class.

Thanks
    JoHnBoY

My suggestion is to add P2 rockers and pushrods to the stock setup and tweak from there. From there you can thicken the shock oil, add stiffer springs and so on.

As far as a softer setup tearing up the skids. The rear skids will wear through whether you run a soft setup like I do, or a stiffer setup like the basic Slayden setup. A softer setup does not mean you will be slapping the ground on the jumps. A soft setup with incorrect ride height will cause slapping and dragging.

I feel the most important part of the setup that directly relates to how well your REVO handles is camber and toe in (rear) and toe out(front) and how even you can get all the adjustments. You simply cannot get close enough by eyeballing it.

Ride height is 2nd most important.

RC Champion
    Hey Roy,

If you don't mind, would you please tell me what your suspension setup is? In detail, including roll center, rockers, pistons, oil wt., springs, pushrod hole, and ride height, etc.? And I'm sure that your setup differs depending on your track, but if you could tell me your "baseline" setup, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

No problem Goinbroke4RC, here you go.

Front:
    30K diff lube
    P2 rockers
    Bumpsteer pivot balls on axle carriers - middle (stock)
    Pushrods in middle holes on lower a arms
    White shock springs (stock)
    #1 shock pistons (stock)
    35wt Associated shock oil
    Ride height - driveshafts level for smoother tracks, slightly above
    level when rough
    Caster - either 2 clips front and rear, or 3 clips front, one rear.
    Camber - negative 1 degree
    Toe in/out - .5 degrees out per side, sometimes zero to help turn in
    Roll center - upper hinge pin in upper holes

Rear:
    10K diff lube
    P2 rockers
    Pivot balls on axle carriers - lower (stock)
    Green shock springs (stock)
    #2 shock pistons (stock)
    35wt Associated shock oil
    Ride height - driveshafts level
    Camber - negative 2 degrees
    Toe in - 2 degrees per side
    Roll center - upper hinge pins in upper holes

RC Champion
    Thank you!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RD Racing
    As far as a softer setup tearing up the skids. The rear skids will wear through whether you run a soft setup like I do, or a stiffer setup like the basic Slayden setup. A softer setup does not mean you will be slapping the ground on the jumps. A soft setup with incorrect ride height will cause slapping and dragging.

I feel the most important part of the setup that directly relates to how well your REVO handles is camber and toe in (rear) and toe out(front) and how even you can get all the adjustments. You simply cannot get close enough by eyeballing it.

Ride height is 2nd most important.
    exactly. I love the "soft setup", it just fits my style. Toe in, toe out, and caster do make a big difference. Especially when trying to find grip on a dry track, when you have the suitable tires.

RC Racer
    RD Racing:

Wow, thats really soft but again that depends on the weight. So what weight is your truck then? And do you have 40 series, 23 adapters, alu wheel carriers and/or alu/*** A-arms; it's the "body" weight that matters in respect to suspension setup?

And whats the clue about so thin rear diff oil?

Chears!
    Last edited by keris; 03-24-2006 at 08:11 AM.

This is one of the setups that tornado racing recomended for me and it works great for a 8.5 to 9 lb Revo,

Front
    P3 Rockers
    White Springs
    50 wt
    #1 Pistons
    50/50 mix 10k and 30k
    4 clips up front
    1 deg toe out
    -2 deg camber
    Upper roll center

RD Quick turn

Rear
    P1 Rockers
    Green Springs
    50 wt
    #1 Pistons
    1k or 3k in the rear diff
    4 deg toe in
    -2 deg camber
    Lower roll center

I have been running Pythons on Hurricane rims. A little heavy but great traction.
    My Revo is 8.3Lbs race ready less fuel with response on hurricanes and 8.7 with the Pythons. i am also racing a modified Werks Picco P2 .26 custom header and a buggy pipe

Seems really soft in the rear but with the power of the .26 it needs to be...more squat less wheelie

RC Qualifier
    Keris,
    Roy usually runs panther pythons, with RD 23mm and RD Carriers.

RC Racer
    ET Racer:

you use P3 push rods in front and P1 push rods at rear, or?

RC Enthusiast
    what differences in handling does lowering or highering the roll center make?

RC Enthusiast
    Can anyone recommend what would be a good gearing for an 18tm on a track with lots of big jumps and 2 mid size streight aways?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by neb
    what differences in handling does lowering or highering the roll center make?
    Using the high roll center will resist side leaning a bit more. If you really need more side traction then you can use the lower holes, but it shouldn't be necessary. My revo will traction roll even with the high roll center setup.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrill
    Using the high roll center will resist side leaning a bit more. If you really need more side traction then you can use the lower holes, but it shouldn't be necessary. My revo will traction roll even with the high roll center setup.
    The upper hole makes it easier for the truck to roll/lean sideways. The lower hole resists this leaning.

The upper hole, because it allows more weight transfer, provides greater traction to the outside tire in turns; the lower hole does the opposite, allowing the truck to slide more easily, and therefore less likely to traction roll.

RC Champion
    A little trick on your rear skidplate is drill out @ the drag point and put a screw thru it with the head to the outside and use locktight and bolt it on. It acts as a skidplate.
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by atmo
    A little trick on your rear skidplate is drill out @ the drag point and put a screw thru it with the head to the outside and use locktight and bolt it on. It acts as a skidplate.
    I don't get it.

RC Champion
    On your rear skidplate you pull it off drill a hole put a srcew head side out thru it, secure it with a nut and it will extend the rear skidplate life. I saw it on Batales trucks so I tried it works great.
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

RC Champion
    What temps are you guys using on the 3.3. i,m running odonnels 20%. It seems to come alive around the 230 mark and is noticably sluggish underneath 230. I have only ran 10 tanks on it 5 on breakin and 5 @ the track 1 soft. I,ve heard the idle stays eratic the 1st 1/2 gallon or so. I have started seeing alot of soft set-ups lately. how are they handling on the rougher tracks? The p-3 rear is that with an extended chassis it makes sense then but with the standard won,t you get some roll?
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

RC Champion
    P3's help save the rear skid from wearing out. I run P1 in front and P2 in rear myself.
    Got nitro?

RC Champion
    I understand skid side. How does the soft set-up hold on a rough track? Are you not getting some roll with the standard chassis?
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

RC poster

revo cutting out

My Revo 2.5 is cutting out when going into tight turns. It cuts power for about 3-4 sec before any power regains. Does anyone have that problem?

RC Champion
    Has anyone tried the qoncepts extended wheelbase kit. They are showing it available with the traxxas extended arms. Currently I am 17.9 inches wide with CF/Mts and 1/2 offset. That would put me @ 18.4. Here is the setup that I'm thinking about.

Extended Chassis/rear arms
    Center diff 10k/100k/3k
    rear brake
    qoncepts extended arms???
    50k front black/70k gold rear #1 both
    1.5 degrees-out front 4clips P-2
    4.0 degrees-rear rear P-2
    upper front
    lower rear
    -2 camber front/rear
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Goinbroke4RC
    The upper hole makes it easier for the truck to roll/lean sideways. The lower hole resists this leaning.

The upper hole, because it allows more weight transfer, provides greater traction to the outside tire in turns; the lower hole does the opposite, allowing the truck to slide more easily, and therefore less likely to traction roll.
    Yeah I'd go with that aswell, I just loweres mine to the bottom hole and it seems much more predictable in the corners in that it's more prone to oversteer like a RWD car rather than understeer like FWD.

Usually I roll it a lot and end up running to right the thing, but now I've dropped it to the bottom hole I rolled it only twice today. It seems to make a more fun day

I've been out in the snow today, it only got to about 10 milli deep but it was a right laugh, huge rooster-tails of snow behind it, it looked great!

My mate who had the two svages and had failed to outclass me (even though he was a touring car champ LOL) has bought a Hyper 8, which is awesome on takeoff, but seems to lack top end pace. He'd get about 6 feet on me at the start, then I'd pass him/drive over him when we got near top end (we were on a football pitch with a BMX track next to it). His servo saver kept going (very poor adjustment on it in that it's very in-depth to tighten when it's muddy) and he spent most of the time trying to fix it (no change there LOL), but it seems like a good buggy if you just want to sprint from corner to corner. It does jump well aswell, but only on small to medium jumps, and even then it looks ungainly in the air.

I have to say when he first showed it me I wasn't sure if I'd bought the wrong car in a Revo, but now I've seen it go, I'm well happy I bought the Traxxas car. It outclasses it by miles in the air, it only suffers on cornering, which I really don't care about as I just like big jumps! There was a nice one on the BMX track, about 50 degree incline and about 4 feet high ... I bet I got nearly 12 feet of air off it! ... and no damage!
    Ladies and gentlemen take my advice,
    pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi. How do the guys adjust the length of the shock to e.g. 96mm? Do you measure that with the shock fully extended?

You can thread the shock rod end in and out of the shock shaft, or put washers/o-rings under the shock piston if you need to limit shock travel. Yes, you measure the shock fully extended, from the top of the shock all the way to the bottom.

RC Qualifier
    I switched to the RD Racing "soft" set up and never looked back. Handles very, well. I was able to pass othe SB trucks through the whoops sections while they were bouncing around.
    Can't win if you don't finish!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by atmo
    On your rear skidplate you pull it off drill a hole put a srcew head side out thru it, secure it with a nut and it will extend the rear skidplate life. I saw it on Batales trucks so I tried it works great.
    Good idea!
    Can't win if you don't finish!

RC Champion
    Thanks, I,ll try it out. Is the racing thread kind of dieing? It seems like nobodys using it as much. It might pickup with the 3.3 conversion and evreybody trying to figure all the different set-ups. Mine should be in next week.
    Hip Pocket Racing

revo-world.com

Quote Originally Posted by dsincere1
    My Revo 2.5 is cutting out when going into tight turns. It cuts power for about 3-4 sec before any power regains. Does anyone have that problem?
    When mine did that it was a combo of pressure line & tank o-ring. Slaydaddy's truck at Silver State race.

Ready for action this weekend. New paint and body from Majestic!

RC Champion
    very nice Roy. Looks killer as usual.

RC poster

revo tire and wheel combos

what tire and wheel combos are you guys racing with, and will the maxx size tires and wheel work ok on the revo, and what is legal in the rc pro series, thanks gump
    stock revo,

I'm planning on running at least a couple of the RC Pro series races in the northeast this season, I was gonna run response tires with the hurricane wheels but it seems that a lot of others are running dish style wheels is there something wrong with the hurricane wheels?
    I like the looks of the wheels better than a dish myself.