RC Qualifier

Alternative to zip ties on the pipe coupler?

Is there a good alternative to using zipties on the pipe coupler? I'm always removing my pipe, so at the moment I'm not using any zip ties at all. After a heafty jump/impact, my pipe can pop out of the coupler, so I really need to secure it in place. Any ideas on what I could use that would be tough and tight, but could be removed and put back on, unlike zip ties?

Any suggestions?
    RB Concept TM 323 | MS Air Filter | Dodge Ram Shell | RC Solutions Rollcage | New Era Shock&Push rod ends, Steering Blocks | 3Racing Ti turnbuckles, Rockers, Mixer Arm, Spring Retainers | RPM Arms | Shock Socks | Spektrum DX3 Radio System | http://www.invisiblechainsaw.com/menu-revo.php

RC Competitor
    i doubt that the pipe should pop out of the coupler. Mine will not pop out even when i tried to pull it off, ofcourse the zip ties were on it. Both the header and pipe are flanged meaning curved outwards to prevent either from comming apart. See if you bent the flange in the crash, if so then try to bend it back.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, the zipties hold it in nice and tightly, but it's very pliable rubber. If you don't have zipties on it, it pops out easily. There's no damage on the pipe flange at all, it's just cos I don't have zipties. Seeing as I take the pipe off everytime I take my engine out (means I dont have to remove my rollcage to remove the engine), I need a removable/reusable alternative to zipties.
    RB Concept TM 323 | MS Air Filter | Dodge Ram Shell | RC Solutions Rollcage | New Era Shock&Push rod ends, Steering Blocks | 3Racing Ti turnbuckles, Rockers, Mixer Arm, Spring Retainers | RPM Arms | Shock Socks | Spektrum DX3 Radio System | http://www.invisiblechainsaw.com/menu-revo.php

RC Racer

Re: Alternative to zip ties on the pipe coupler?

Originally posted by Fallout
    Is there a good alternative to using zipties on the pipe coupler? I'm always removing my pipe, so at the moment I'm not using any zip ties at all. After a heafty jump/impact, my pipe can pop out of the coupler, so I really need to secure it in place. Any ideas on what I could use that would be tough and tight, but could be removed and put back on, unlike zip ties?

Any suggestions?
    You can buy the removable/unlocking zip-ties. You can buy them at any good hardware store.

I buy my regular small size zip-ties from the dollar store for a package of 100. At $1.00 for a package I think that's cheap enough to cut the zip-ties off.
    I'll have a Nitro-politan and garnished with a lime wedge.

RC Champion
    You could try small metal hose clamps. They may work if you can find the right size. But you'll need to carry around a screwdriver to put them on and take them off, and being metal they may slice your silicone exhaust boot.

I just bought a extremely large bag of zip-ties for a liitle more than $5. When I need to unhook I just cut the old one with a pair of nail clippers then throw a new one on when I'm done.

All in all the bag of ties should last me quite a long time.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mark

RC Enthusiast
    I have used these before on my computer water lines and on pipe couplers for my RC. They work great, but not as cheap as zip ties.

Clamps

V
    The one the only REVO!

RC Qualifier
    It didn't really occur to me to go down the hardware store and buy them in bulk. I suppose if they're that cheap that's probably the best option. I'll keep an eye out for em next time I pop out. Those clamps look pretty handy too. Did you have any probs with them coming off at all?

RC Enthusiast
    Fallout

They are very duff clamps. They would take it a beating. If you find any local I would just test them in the store and see what you think. I didn't have any problems.

V
    The one the only REVO!

I have also used hose clamps. You can find them at your local hardware store, just find the right size

RC Qualifier
    Hose clamps are good, but they weigh down the car, especially compared to a zip tie.

RC Champion
    They look like the clamps on my flexiable drain line running from the Air Conditioner in my house. Hmmmmmm

RC Champion
    Your truck will hold a tune long enough to run like that? When my zipties on the coupler were loose from the factory it had a killer mid rpm bog. That was just being loose.
    My Revo is much faster than yours

RC Qualifier
    Build Union, Buy American!

Banned by Warnings
    Use a little elastic and and loop it over and over until its extremely tite.

RC Qualifier
    Was in the hardware store today and found a bargain pack of 100 zipties for a couple of quid, so yep, that seemed to be the easiest suggestion. I did look at some of the water pipe clamps, but the ones available looked like they'd tear the rubber while tightening up, so zip ties it is.

Banned by Warnings

Wink

they make copler clamps out of alumnum that lock down with screws. there called coupler jaws. they work sweet.

RC Qualifier
    There are three types of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't!!!!

RC Qualifier
    500 cable ties for 3.51 on ebay in the uk.

bet u cant beat that

do an ebay search in uk for cable ties 500 10 cm long. mini moto .blata. kart .
    Last edited by Revo 1990; 09-09-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    RB TM323, Proline 23mm hex adapters, Proline 23mm Velocity wheels, Proline Big Joe 40 series tyres, Mugen wing with custom aluminium mount, Custom aluminium throttle servo mount, Front RPM arms, Aluminium shock rod ends, GWS FS2 failsafe, GP 1100 receiver pack, Yokomo temp gun, Steering mod, Home made work stand.

RC Qualifier
    why dont you clean the pipe/stinger where it wont have any oily residue and clean the inside of the coupler with soap and water. that should let there be some more friction the hold teh coupler in place. Its not as good as the other ideas here but its worth a try.
    edit: oops, my bad. i though you were talking about the stinger, not the coupler that connects the header to the pipe. My bad.
    2 and 1/2 revos and LST. one stock revo, other needs chassis and tranny. Other revo, specs follow. futaba 3pk with spektrum,rb 323 pull start, rpm arms, hitec 5625 130oz .14 throttle, hitec 5955 333oz .15 steering, rc solution cage, big joe tires