RC Competitor

I need a new 15T motor...

I need a new 15T or 16T motor to go with my new LRP AI Super Reverse.
    Please give me some advice...

I this worth the extra 20$ compared to the other ones listed?
    Trinity P-94 15T Double rpm Motor

Or, will these give more "bang for the buck"?
    Trinity SpeedGem Pro Titanite 15T Double Motor
    and
    Trinity 15T Double SpeedGem Extreme Machine Wound Mod
    or
    Associated Flash Modified 15T Double

Will there be a big difference in runtime and speed with the above mentioned motors compared to the 17T Amber?
    (I use GP3300 Matched batteries from Advance (1,195V))

/J

RC Qualifier
    I can't say anything about the other motors, since I've never used them, but I run the Titanite with the AI Super Reverse, and it is a good combo, IMHO. The ESC does get quite hot with the Titanite on 7 cells, but the heat has not caused any problems, though.

I wanted to get the 15t Extreme, but my LHS didn't have one, and I didn't want to wait for one from Tower.

RC Qualifier
    i hear the 15 turn fireball is very bang for the buck. i am planning on getting one as soon as i have an extra $15.
    -Make It Rain-

Originally posted by Traxxas Dude 92
    i hear the 15 turn fireball is very bang for the buck. i am planning on getting one as soon as i have an extra $15.
    They're cheap because they're cheap motors. As far as being "bang for the buck", you get a small bang for small bucks.
    There is no chicken knife. Eat steak.

I have heard great things about Trinity's Speed Gem Extreme motors.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Razor - what is the difference between a cheap motor and an expensive one? I've just cut the comm for the last time on my SG Pro Serpentine (the comm is gone now) and am looking for a replacement. Are the communicators better quality? longer lasting? on the better motors?

Thanks!

Originally posted by dbrown17
    Razor - what is the difference between a cheap motor and an expensive one? I've just cut the comm for the last time on my SG Pro Serpentine (the comm is gone now) and am looking for a replacement. Are the communicators better quality? longer lasting? on the better motors?
    It depends what motors you are comparing. If you want to compare the Fireball to a Speed Gem, you'll get better everything with the Speed Gem. There's alot that goes into making motors such as: can, magnets, armature, winding, comm, endbell, brush hoods, brushes, springs, bushings, etc, etc...

RC Qualifier
    Would that equate to longer lasting? The comm in my serp didn't make it through 4 comm cuts. If I were to pick up something like a D5 would the comm stand up better? I'm realizing that I'm running too hot and need to back off. The last run actually put indentations into the comm that I wasn't able to get out before the rest of it was gone.

Thanks for the info!

RC Competitor
    Will it be a big difference between the 15T and 17T Trinity's Speed Gem Extreme motors?

- Maintenance
    - Brush wear
    - Punch and speed
    - Playtime on a GP3300

/J

The last run actually put indentations into the comm that I wasn't able to get out before the rest of it was gone.
    Are you running serrated brushes? (the brushes with the slots in them). That might be where your "indentations" came from.

Will it be a big difference between the 15T and 17T Trinity's Speed Gem Extreme motors?

- Maintenance
    - Brush wear
    - Punch and speed
    - Playtime on a GP3300
    - Maintenance: Usually increases with lower turns, but should not be that different between 15 and 17 turn motors.
    - Brush wear: Again usually increases with lower turns, but should not be that different between 15 and 17 turn motors.
    - Punch and speed: Most of the time when the motor turns goes down so does the torque, but it will have more RPM. Basically there should be a noticeable difference in speed and probably a small difference it torque.
    - Playtime on a GP3300: The run time would be less on a 15-turn motor over a 17-turn motor. I, honestly, do not know how much difference there would be though.

Hope that helps,

-Tom
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Are the communicators better quality?
    Just FYI. It's called a commutator.

Would that equate to longer lasting? The comm in my serp didn't make it through 4 comm cuts. If I were to pick up something like a D5 would the comm stand up better?
    These aren't questions that can be answered yes/no. If you compare a Serpentine to a 14-turn D5, there isn't going to be much difference in comm wear. If you're only getting 4 cuts out of a Serpentine and getting deep grooves in it, you're probably waiting too long between cuts. Of course, if you're overgeared it's kinda silly to worry about stuff like this because it would be better to use proper gearing and never cut the comm than to cut the comm every day but use harmful gearing.