RC Racer

Mods for my Revo 3.3

Hey all, my Revo is currently undergoing a few mods, I have a OS 21tm engine already & a 3 shoe clutch is coming, I am also about to order a few more parts & need a little advice from those who have been there before.
    I'm looking at getting

Traxxas steel axles (part # 5451R),
    THS Racing tuned pipe/manifold (part # THS1046),
    Pro-Line 3.8 Masher tires pre mounted on Desperado wheels,
    Robinson Racing HiPer Gen 3 slipper kit 38t spur (part # RRP7738),
    Robinson Racing Xtra hard 15t clutch bell-Revo 3.3 (part # RRP8015),
    Robinson Racing steel forward only gear kit, wide ratio, (part # RRP8007),

Now, would I be better off going with the standard ratio FOC gear kit (part # RRP8002) instead, I still want decent top speed so don't want the close ratio gear kit but wasn't sure if there would be much difference in the standard & wide ratio's. Would using the standard ratio with the engine & pipe combo make the Revo do 2nd gear wheelie's ?? & will the 15t CB be to small, should I go 16T, maybe thats just better with a BB engine & 15t better for the 21tm ??

Do the Desperado wheels suit the Revo splined hex's or are they just the standard Hex shape ?? I know they fit on just not sure on the hex shape in the wheel ??

I will use 500k oil in the trans as thats what I have read that people here recommend.
    Is there anything I should know or anything else I need to fit these parts, I want to order them as soon as I can as its getting close to Christmas so hoping they will get here before then.
    I will also get the traxxas wing mount & wing, a Traxxas wheelie bar & I want a sway bar kit also, I have heard the Traxxas sway bar may not fit on the rear with the wing fitted, is that true, will I need to get the Teckno sway bar kit if I have the wing & wheelie bar fitted.

Thanks for any help....
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Qualifier
    Well as you know I have sway bars and the wing so I knOw they fit just right and the mashers fit the hex perfect its not splined but I've ran the crap outta mine and theyve done perfect but they are huge compared to the stock ones and the Robinson gears I will give you feedback on tomorrow since I just got them in and all pretty easy install o and I suggest taping the mashers mine ballon badly it looks cool but it will end up ripping them off
    drive it like you stole it

RC Racer
    Oh ok, so you have the Traxxas sway bars then, thats good to know, I know the Teckno s/bars fit but heard the Traxxas ones won't. Do you have the Traxxas wheelie bar on also with the wing & sway bar. The wheels I was going to order are already mounted with the tires, guess I could pull them off to tape them although a few people seem to have had trouble with tape coming off causing only parts of the tire to balloon, might try them out & see what their like & tape later if needed. What gear set did you go with, close, standard or wide ratio ? Did you need anything else to fit the gears or are they just a straight swap ?
    Thanks.

RC Racer
    Why are you putting 500k in the trans? I thought that the trans gears didn't need lube?

RC Racer
    lol, yeah I realised that after I re read my post, was thinking of the center diff.
    I'm in a bit of a bind atm though, I had a 1/8 nitro buggy a few yrs back that I had fun with racing at the local club events, I always wanted another one & now I could get 1, so not sure if I should leave the revo stock for now & get a Hyper 9 nitro buggy, I had the Hyper 7 PCR yrs back & it was a good buggy. My revo still goes well, no damaged parts & I already have the new engine for it & clutch on the way so I can get it back together & going again no problem. Be good if Traxxas made a 1/8 nitro buggy.

RC Qualifier
    No I dont have the wheelie bar the wing works great as a wheelie bar and I went with wide ratio cause this tm523 has plenty of power I'll let you know later tOday how they work and ya it's all in the kit no extra parts needed just
    Ale sure you still have the stock output shaft cause it won't fit with the forward only shaft
    drive it like you stole it

RC Racer
    The trans & everything in my Revo is all standard so I guess the stock output shaft is all good, will see what happens when I end up getting the upgrades. I decided to get a 1/8 nitro buggy instead, not the hyper 9 though, I got a JQ products "The Car" rtr version, should be here next week. I will put the engine in the revo & get that going again & just hope that it holds together for a while, I don't do big jumps or anything so it might last.

RC Qualifier
    Hey oz the 15/38 gears may bee too low for the os21tm and I see you plan on running the wide ratio 2nd gear depending on the size of tire you run you may find it bogging in 2nd like my 3.3 did with the "BIG JOES" right now I run 16/36 with the "stock" second gear and hpi 3.2 dogbones, I get 2nd gear wheelies no problem with good top speed still. That's the best thing about the revo is it's up to the user to set it up to personal preference and the combo's are endless from 2.5 small blocks to 4.6 big blocks and everything in between. Look forward to seeing a vid when you get her done.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    Thanks for that info, atm though I have decided to leave it stock apart from the O.S engine, it has the 14/38 gearing with wide ration trans & the standard wheel/tire combo that came with it. I ended up deciding to get myself a new 1/8 nitro buggy so have to put the revo mods off till a later time. Will see how it goes & what breaks & if need be I will do some upgrades then but atm I want to get the buggy going well.