Bigbadbronx

Talking Lightest wheels and tires

Well, as we all know in a 1:1 car, removing stock steel wheels and putting lightweight wheels and tires on is called removing "unsprung weight" and while it's only maybe 10 lbs a wheel, it is equivalent to removing 100lbs. from the car. (Yes, I race real ones too, lol). So, I'm going to apply that to Brutus the Maxx and I'd like to know from anyone who's done a little investigating on this issue , what's the lightest wheel and tire combo I can get? I'm a basher so I run concrete as much as dirt and I have heard that the S-Maxx rims and tires are the lightest. Was going to get the Revos, but they are bigger than the stock Chevron tread Maxx rims and tires I have, so that is counter- productive. And even though they are bulletproof, I'm not really feeling the RPM Claw wheels, everybody has 'em. Thanks all!!!!

RC Champion
    I run the Sport MAxx wheels and SportTraxx tires. I posted a thread on the weight differance last summer. It was a substantial differance over the stock set up. I also use to race Mt Bikes so the your wheel theory is true, lighter rotational mass leads to better performance. I can tell you that it's true with the T-Maxx as well. I have however shattered two Sport Maxx wheels, i think they are a bit to week for the bashing I gave them. The RPM wheels are just a bit heavier but are built tougher. RPM wheels with a good light tire and your set.
    Sirio .18 w/BB Pipe, FLM (.21 chassis / Bulkless Diffs w/Maximizer diffs), Crazy Nut Brakes, MIP/CVD, UE Ti Rear drive, RPM(arms/bumpers), MX-3. TRX BB shocks RC Raven springs

Bigbadbronx
    Kool ,thanks for the info, I tried searching again and came up with Proline Velocity wheels with the offset and SportTraxx tires. Imma get 'em in white so I can dye em my trademark black, as I did with my regular Maxx wheels. Almost done with my winter buildup!

RC Qualifier
    check these out they look really light and according to rpm they say

RPM Monster Clawz are the lightest wheels available for the T/ E-Maxx, Monster GT, or Savage, hands down!

and rpm has lifetime replacement

here

RC Enthusiast
    tghe lightest combo i know for tyres of the stock SIZE on a t-maxx is the proline combo of velocity wheels on bowties (218g) btu they work best on a real compact surface, im runnin sporttraxx tyres on the chrome sport maxx rims (232g) good alround performace from them too.

the stock wheel tyre combo is 318g

Banned by Warnings
    I believe the lightest wheel and tire combo you can get for the maxx are Proline velocity wheels and proline bowties. I however don't like the look of the dish wheels so I got sportmaxx wheels and bowties. It's a great combo and it's the second lightest wheel on the market. It's only .02oz. heavier then the proline dish wheels.

Tervuren
    Originally posted by OZ MAXX
    tghe lightest combo i know for tyres of the stock SIZE on a t-maxx is the proline combo of velocity wheels on bowties (218g)
    This is correct. If you want even lighter, a lot of the wegiht is in the tire, so you oculd go wit the LP Komodo's by Panther. These are smaller tires that are made for the stock wheels. I'm all for them not being allowed in santioned monster truck races, but whatever you wish to run else ware won't bother me.

RC Champion
    You do have to remember light is good for racing but for general bashing (weight saving is always good) you have to take into account that strength is still needed. Lighter wheels sometimes dont take the abuse that a slightly heavier wheel does. Bowties for example, great tire on the track but they dont last long on the road or a construction site. The SportTraxx tire is an all around great tire and it's light. Just something to think about. I'm switching to RPM wheels since I have shattered two Sport Maxx wheels from jumping.
    Sirio .18 w/BB Pipe, FLM (.21 chassis / Bulkless Diffs w/Maximizer diffs), Crazy Nut Brakes, MIP/CVD, UE Ti Rear drive, RPM(arms/bumpers), MX-3. TRX BB shocks RC Raven springs

RC Qualifier
    If you want even lighter, a lot of the wegiht is in the tire, so you oculd go wit the LP Komodo's by Panther. These are smaller tires that are made for the stock wheels.
    Is the Komoda Dragon the smallest diameter tire for the T-maxx? I may be eliminating my tranny (just to experiment with it) and with a 14 tooth clutch bell and a 76 tooth spur gear, my top speed will be around (theoretically speaking) 45 mph. I want to drop that speed to around 35 mph...so I want small tires. Thanks for any info!!

Also, does anyone have pictures of these tires on a T-maxx or beside the stock tires? Thanks
    SuperSportMaxx 2.5R, T-Maxx 2.5, Rustler 2.5, '99 YZ250 - Gravity: Some laws were meant to be broken.

RC Qualifier
    Ya they are sweet looking IMO. this is a thread that has pics! Click
    S-maxx, 4X4, O.S. .18, tuned pipe, RPM shock towers, A-arms, Bulkhead Brace , Pro-Line Velocity 40, Pro-Line Bow Tie 40 Tires

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that's a nice looking truck. I think those tires would be great.
    SuperSportMaxx 2.5R, T-Maxx 2.5, Rustler 2.5, '99 YZ250 - Gravity: Some laws were meant to be broken.

Bigbadbronx

Close out

Well to close out this thread cause it's gotten off track, I went with Proline 40 series Velocity wheels in white so I can dye 'em my trademark black and Proline 40 series Bow Ties. I used the scale at my LHS and weighed the Traxxas Sportraxx tires and rims from an S-Maxx, Revo wheels and tires, and the RPM claws with the Tires I eventually bought and out of all of em, the Proline combo was the lightest by 2 grams. And I also bought some Traxxas aluminum pivot balls, way lighter than the stock ones.

maxxSS

How do you run with no transmission? I saw a solid center diff and 1/8 buggy style spur on a .21 conversion once, like 2 years ago. You could run a standard pullstart big block engine on a stock chassis because the center diff took up less room than a stock tranny, allowing the engine to be mounted forward. I need some pics, been thinking of building a light S-Maxx myself.

DaveR
    Why are the Komodo tires illegal for racing?

If you read the thread link there for the nice race truck, he talks about it. I think it's because they're too small and make the truck more like a 1/8 cale buggy in handling and performance. 1/8 buggy wheels are 3.2" diameter, but narrower than Maxx wheels.

RC Qualifier
    NWDave - I am in the process of building a tranny-less truck. I don't want to get into on this thread, so you can check it out here.