Thread: 750 size motor?

RC Competitor

750 size motor?

I have a 750 size motor that I was thinking about putting on my rustler. I know for a fact that some dremeling would have to be done to make it fit, but is it worth it? The motor came out of a 9.6 volt drill. So please give me any input that you have. If I dont put it in the rustler I was thinking about building a boat and using it in it?

Also, how do you get the top gear in the transmission off the shaft? If I could get it off, I could put it on the shaft to the motor because they are the exact same size, and that would make mounting the motor easier too. I have tryed unsuccessfully many times to get the gear off the top shaft.
    Last edited by rustler8806; 12-17-2004 at 02:41 PM.
    E-Maxx : Super E-Truck esc, stock everything, 4x 3000 NiMhs (will soon start making custom aluminum parts)
    Rustler : complete custom handmade aluminum shock towers, chassis(long and short), top plate, and f/r arms.

RC Champion
    if it came out of a 9.6 volt drill, you will need at least 9.6 volts for it to work best. im not sure if a 750 would work, but sometimes people put them into e-maxxes, and they have loads of torque. you will need to stiffen the rear suspension of your rustler, and get a mg servo so at least it has some wheight in the front.
    T-maxx - Tuned pipe, MS filter,OFNA tank, O'donnell's 30%, Reciever pack, VFS, 2WD now.
    E.Rustler - 7 cell GP3300, Xl-1 still, Stinger because others are broken, deans plugs, dremmeled, Lexan bumper, esc mount, and tiebar, Roadrage tires, RPM talonz rims, wheighs 3lbs 4.5oz

Getting the top gear off is really tricky. Here's what I do:

Put the slipper shaft assembly in a vise, with the top gear sticking out and the roll pin parallel to the ground. Make sure you don't bend/mar/squeeze the shaft too much. Then, take a 1/16" roll pin punch (get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, whatever), and use a hammer to tap the roll pin out. Again, be careful with how hard you hit, because you can bend the shaft easily.

After several words you wouldn't want your kids to hear, the pin should come out. Then, you can remove the gear. Sometimes, though, that can be tricky, too. The "good 'ol way" to do it is to up the shaft between the claws of a hammer (or side cutters, linesman's pliers, etc.), with the top gear resting on the sides. Have someone stand on the plier's handle while on a step (so you are free to work with the assembly). With the shaft pointing down, tap on one end (might need something like a bigger punch for this, too) to get the gear off.

That's a little hard to understand, but a pic would give you the idea...assuming it's a good idea at all. If it's not...I blame my Dad.

RC Champion
    stampede, after doing that to get the drill motor's gear off, would regular rustler pinions fit on the shaft?
    T-maxx - Tuned pipe, MS filter,OFNA tank, O'donnell's 30%, Reciever pack, VFS, 2WD now.
    E.Rustler - 7 cell GP3300, Xl-1 still, Stinger because others are broken, deans plugs, dremmeled, Lexan bumper, esc mount, and tiebar, Roadrage tires, RPM talonz rims, wheighs 3lbs 4.5oz

Originally posted by Slipknot2k7
    stampede, after doing that to get the drill motor's gear off, would regular rustler pinions fit on the shaft?
    Um...those directions were for removing the top gear, and I doubt they'll work for drill motor pinions, because those likely come all the way down to the motor can, leaving no area to get the side cutters into.

Short answer: if the shaft is 1/8", it'll work. If it's metric, you'll have to drill out your pinions, or buy specially-made ones.

RC Champion
    thanks. i think ill check into one of those johnson motors, i want to go really really slow, but have massive torque, does anyone have any reccommendations on motors that www.allelectronics.com sells? (for lots of torque, but very slow top speed, and would work with the xl-1)

Dunno about the AllElectronics motors, but the Integy 55-turn lathe motors are all I've heard of with more torque than a MM. They're 05-size, but as mentioned, a 750 will be hard to fit, and I assume there will be no added benefits.