RC Competitor

E-maxx won't move

I just bought an e-maxx off brushless driver and it moved for about 1 minute then died. After it died it will no longer move at all. The steering will move and the tranny shifter will move but not the truck. I have traced all the wires and they appear to be intact. The truck does not even jerk forward. Brushless driver could not figure it out (being he is not here) and he told me to try posting here.
    Help me please or I just wasted $375! Below is the truck if that helps any.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hreadid=230306

RC Racer
    There are lots of possibilities... not sure where to begin...

Are you using a freshly charged set of known good batteries? Do the motors try to move at all? Any quiver of the fans that you can see in through the vents when you apply throttle? Your answer to this will dictate the next set of troubleshooting.

If the motors seem to be trying, then either the batteries are too weak or something is binding. The battery solution is obvious, so I won't say more. If it isn't batteries then pick the truck up and hold one rear wheel still while turning the other. Motion should be transferred through the motor/tranny to the front wheels. Does everything turn smoothly? If not then you have to troubleshoot the motor/tranny/diffs.

If the motors didn't even quiver then it looks electrical. Try resetting the EVX. The wiring probably isn't an issue since you said it did run OK at first unless something became disconnected. If that's not it then either your motors or EVX are at fault. Typically both motors won't fry at the same time. Is the light on the EVX changing as you increase throttle and go into reverse? If not then EVX is dead or your transmitter isn't sending throttle signals. Fresh batteries in the transmitter? Antennas OK on transmitter and receiver? All receiver wires connected OK?

OK, that is probably too much info... Try some of it and report back with more details then we can help more.

Later,
    Rob

RC Champion
    Not sure what your level of experience with the EMaxx is, but you might first try holding the truck in the air with the throttle squeezed and wiggle all the wires one at a time.

Did you get the EVX anywhere near any water? It's VERY sensitive to that...

Did it come with a manual? You should try reprogramming the EVX...

Do you have a voltmeter?

Worst case, it's probably the EVX, which you can send to Traxxas for between $20-45 and they'll repair/replace it. I was going to suggest that it's the battery connectors, but I saw that it came with Deans connectors, so that probably not it...Traxxas will charge extra ($45 versus $20) if it does not have the stock Tamiyas on it. You could make some adapters and include those when you send it in.
    Last edited by SoCal-EMaxx; 05-27-2004 at 11:07 PM.
    < How do I edit my signature??? >

RC Competitor

motors don't move

The motors do not try and turn at all. The light on the EVX is red, when I squeeze the trigger it turns green, in reverse it flashes green. I just put new batteries in the remote, brushless gave me rechargeables but now sure how to recharge them yet. It did not get by any water either. When it ran for that short time it did steer and respond to the throttle. It then just died so I thought the batterries needed conditioned. I have tried conditioning the batteries and it does nothing for throttle now, just the steering and tranny work. And that light does change when I pull the trigger. Like I said steady green for forward and flashing green in reverse, it just doesn't move.
    I should probably add that the wheels do not turn all the way, they just jerk back and forth.
    Last edited by copper131; 05-28-2004 at 12:28 AM.

RC Competitor

EVX

How do you reset the EVX? I am a newbee and no nothing about these. I do not have the owners manuel either.

RC Qualifier
    the same thing happened to me when I reverse polaritied my evx, so I sent it in with $20 and it was fixed and back to me in 2 weeks, and I'm from Canada so the shipping was pretty good.
    TYCO! thats how you Spell RC. LOL

RC Competitor

Reverse polarity

Could it be possible the positive and negative on the battery touched the aluminum for the battery holds? Would that cause this to happen? The ends of the batteries were bare exposing the positive and negative, the battery hold is aluminum.

RC Competitor

I think you were right

When I got home from work this morning I used the electrical tester to see if any juice went to the motors when the trigger was squeezed...........no. I get juice from the batteries but not out the EVX to the motors, but the light on the EVX does turn green when I pull the trigger.

RC Racer
    You can get all the manuals and exploded parts views and stuff from the Traxxas support site:

http://www.traxxas.com/support/trx_support.htm

The manual for the E is here:

E-Maxx Manual

Use that to try resetting the EVX. From your additional description the issue is likely electrical... either wiring problem or EVX. Although I'm not sure what you meant by 'the wheels do not turn all the way, they just jerk back and forth'? They 'jerk back and forth' when you squeeze the trigger or when you try to spin them by hand with the truck in the air?

Rob

RC Champion
    The battery wires should definitely NOT be exposed, nor should any other wire that could come into contact with bare metal.
    < How do I edit my signature??? >

RC Competitor

Thank You

I just want to thank everyone for their help. I meant the front wheels jerk and do not fully turn.

RC Competitor

did not work

I just downloaded the manuel and reset the EVX, it did not work. The light still goes to green when pulling the trigger and flashes green in reverse but the motors do not even attempt to turn.

RC Competitor

Thank You

I reset the EVX from the diections in the downloaded manuel, no luck. Same thing, steady green in forward, flashing in reverse but not even a jerk on the motor fans.

Banned by Warnings
    The same thing you are describing, happened to me, and it was once because my motors fried, and another time because a wire on the EVX became unconnected (bad soldering job on one of my Deans).

The fact your EVX lights display properly makes me think the EVX is OK. Can you turn your motors by hand. Did you check all your connections? I would foucus on the motors, connect a 9V battery directly to them and see if they spin.

RC Qualifier
    Try setting the truck on the ground, everything turned off. Push the truck forward about two feet. Does it go, or do you feel anything binding. This will force the motors to turn and should provide adequate drag, but will still be possible to roll.

If the truck rolls okay, take the pinions off the motors. Hook up all electronics and see if you get anything out of the motors. If still nothing, to identify if it's motor or EVX, try a known good motor...any motor will work. Wire to EVX w/o installing or anyting else, just test to see if EVX works.

At this point, you'll either have found something bound in the drivechain, a dead Titan (or Titans) or dead EVX.

Hope this helps, bummer news on the new Maxx.
    Too Slow
    "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

RC Racer
    well push it if it dosent work, lol jk
    had same problem, $45 down the drain
    your esc is fried, wouldnt blam the other guy, look at what ya did before you blame, good luck
    andrew

RC Racer
    I had some trouble like that

I found out that the one pin in the Tamiya connecters had come loose and was not connecting to the batts
    I had to replace one of the Tamiya connecter on the EVX

You said about the steering steel working

I found out some time ago that if you connect up one set of batts on one side it would power the steering etc but the motors do not turn and when you conntect up the batts on the other side it would power the motors.

If you had the same trouble as I had and the batts on one side was not conntecting the motor may not turn but the steering etc would steel work
    SMOKE ME A KIPPER - I'll be back for breakfast

RC Competitor
    Hey man if your maxx wont move try taking out the motors and running them,if they run your problem is in the transmission.Before you try running them out of the maxx,reset you EVX.If you find it`s in the transmission try taking apart the transmission and checking all the gears and grease them (its always worked for me.

Well I hope this helps!

Dylan
    T4,B4,TC3,NMT2,HPI Savage 25

RC Competitor

EVX

Thank you everyone, it was the EVX. On the aluminum was a amrk where it had nmade the contact. Took it to a Hobby shop in Erie.