Thread: glow plug check

RC Qualifier

glow plug check

I know this question have been asked before but could you guys don't mind repeat once more, is anyway to check if the glow plug is till good....

thanks

If it lights up or glows its still good. Somethimes if the truck don't run after you remove the ez starter controller or glow igniter then its a bad plug..
    If you can't fix it. Smash it with a hammer...If that don't work hit it again...
    Pittsburgh Steelers Superbowl XL Champions, Go Steelers

RC Qualifier
    is it the only way to tell, if the engine dies when you remove the ezstart...
    I thought there is somethng out there tell the plug is bad or good when you mount it on and it tell you bad or good plug instead to tell by the engine....
    My case I will not know if the plug or the engine.. i will not remember all step to check ... still a rookie,,,

I flood engine 2 times... thought my plug is the problem....
    i lean the LSN and the thought that the plug.....

many times i still thinking the plug bad instead ....

RC Champion
    A bad glow plug: distorted, broken and/or white glow plug coil. To check condition of a glow plug. (1) Start engine, (2) you will need a glow plug igniter for this: while the engine is idling, leave glow plug igniter on the glow plug and note the sound and/or the rpm of the engine. (2) Next, remove the glow plug igniter and note the sound and/or rpm again. (4) After removing the igniter, if you notice a drop in rpm, or the engine sounds as if it is loading up with fuel, the glow plug should be replaced. (5) If the engine wont start at all, this is also a good sign that the glow plug needs replacing. Hope this helps. Good luck. And welcome to the world of Nitro.
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

RC Racer
    Originally posted by 0260MPH
    After removing the igniter, if you notice a drop in rpm, or the engine sounds as if it is loading up with fuel, the glow plug should be replaced.
    I don't know about this one. I use an igniter and even with new plugs, I hear a change in rpm's as I remove the igniter.

RC Champion
    What kind of change? I researched this. And found this by a respected engine builder. The company has been around a long time. Until you did some research yourself. Don't knock it or say what is not true. I only answer when i have knowledge and experience. If, i am wrong. I stand to be corrected. I try my best not to misled or give wrong info. The keyword to the whole sentence is "should". I hope i didnt create any hard feelings. I'm just relaying some advice. Good luck.
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Calm down guys, he never said you were wrong, just said he wasnt sure about it. Lets keep this thread open, cuz its usefull.

When the engine stalls under acceleration it could also mean a bad plug.

Thinking about it, maybe '(dont kill me for this)' the igniter test only works in a warm engine. But Im a noobie, so who knows.......and Im not saying that anyone is wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I am still a rookie , my T-maxx just finishing its first galon of nitro ... and with the original glow plug.... only thing that I need to change at that area is the glow plug blue wire....some sugession is just put the heat shrink tube and run with the body one so that wire won't get dammage....
    It is hard to be recognized by the sound or the RPM change of the engine just yet...
    That's why I am looking for some device that can tell the glow plug by mounting it to the device....

thanks for all the input....

RC Racer
    If you have an glow starter it's easy to check. Remove plug from engine and stick it in the glow starter. Look at the coil, if it turns bright red real fast then it's good. If not, it's bad. Be careful when removing it from the starter cause it is very hot. I use a rag on the bench and let the plug release into the rag so I don't get burned and the plug don't go flying across the room.

I was going through plugs like crazy thinking they were bad until I started testing them. Come to find out, only 1 of the plugs was bad. I had an over heating issue that was causing the truck not to start. Richened it up, no more plug problems, but I still check them that way when I do my cleaning procedure.
    If it ain't broke, GO FASTER! Revo 2.5R, FOC, MS filter, Roto-Start, P3 rockers, 23mm Wabash wheels w/ 40 series bowties, CP 2.0 body. mugen wing, single steering mod, RPM arms, weighing in at 9lbs 9oz.

RC Qualifier
    1. Pull out the glow plug
    2. Inspect it. See if the small wire coil appears to have build up on it. If it does, then replace it.
    3. Attach the blue wire to the glow plug.
    4. Use the EZ-Start controller to turn the engine.
    5. Touch the threads of the glow plug to the head of the engine. You should see the light on the EZ start (Glow plug LED) lighting and the small coil in the glow plug a nice redish orange color. If not, replace the glow plug. If the new glow plug fails this step, then the EZ-Start controller might be bad.

RC Qualifier
    s3rock,
    will my engine flood because I keep turn the engine and look for the redish orange color at the wire???? the LED glod plug is easy to see.....

just wonder?

RC Racer
    the engine will not flood cuz the glow plug is out, the fuel will spit out the top of the engine
    If it ain't broke, GO FASTER! Revo 2.5R, FOC, MS filter, Roto-Start, P3 rockers, 23mm Wabash wheels w/ 40 series bowties, CP 2.0 body. mugen wing, single steering mod, RPM arms, weighing in at 9lbs 9oz.

RC Qualifier
    i dont know about the new EZ but the old one has a little light on it to indicate if the plug is bad or not. if the light dont light then its bad but if it do light then its good.

RC Qualifier
    It will have less fuel build up than turning it over with the glow plug and the engine not firing. As someone already pointed out, it will spit it on you.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by warren
    i dont know about the new EZ but the old one has a little light on it to indicate if the plug is bad or not. if the light dont light then its bad but if it do light then its good.
    The EZ Start 2 has a glow plug indicator LED. However, it will tell you if it is alive or dead - nothing in between. Plugs can still light (along with the LED) even if they should be replaced.

Too bad they don't make a glow plug that you can clean or repair.

It helps to test them too. I'm a newbie and was able to better track down problems once I knew the glow plug was working.

RC Qualifier
    If you dont have a glow ignitor you could also disconnect one of the leads to the ezstart motor and hook up the glowplug as described above. This way the starter will not turn the engine over at the same time.
    Also the origional ezstart does have a led for the glowplug, just as the new version, but it lacks the engine led.
    Traxxas Blast: looking for hop-ups
    44" Avenger catamaran w/ OPS .90 46" Enforcer Super G & S-Maxx