Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC poster

metal strengths

you guys have no idea what you are talking about metal's. Titanium is not light as aluminum or strong as stainless steel. Titanium is approx 30% lighter than steel, but is MUCH stronger than any of the listed metals. Aluminum is fairly weak compared to any steel. Stainless steel isnt as strong as normal steel either. Only reason why aluminum is used is because it is lighter than steel. A one inch thick bar of titainum is strong as a 4" thick bar of aluminum or 3" thick bar of steel. Titanium is used because parts can be made so much thinner so they become lighter for the same strength as thick aluminum.
    Basically its a difference of strength to weight ratio where titanium is far superior.
    Last edited by mike505; 01-25-2005 at 04:41 PM.

RC Champion
    Originally posted by bungnati
    Yo Big one

Aluminum is much much weaker than steel. Steel is one of the strongest metals. Titanium has the weight of aluminum but the strength of steel. Also aluminum has several different grades ie: T-1 T-6 the higher the number the stronger it is. T-1 can bend very easily as T-6 will break before it bends.
    The strength of the metals are:
    Steel 81250 P.S.I. (weakest) 236000 PSI (Strongest)
    Titanium 162500 PSI
    Aluminum T-6 45000 P.S.I. (weakest) 83000 PSI (Strongest)
    Aluminum T-1 18000 PSI

As you can see Aluminum is much weaker than steel. The strongest aluminum is as strong as the weakest steel. Also the 7075-T6 aluminum is incredibly expensive, 2 times the price of titanium and 8 times the cost of steel.This brings us to titanium, which is very light and as strong as stainless steel. Titanium as actually lighter than aluminum and as durable as steel. Titanium breaks as does the T-6 aluminum as it is bent. Although titanium is expensive is is worth using as the weight to cost ratio is decent for the RC racer.
    Here is a lesson on Metal strength.
    This is not intended to annoy anyone but to inform an the performance of various metals.
    You're saying that he's wrong? All the above info is correct except for that Ti is lighter than Al. According to his figures, Ti is in the strength range of steel, but not as strong as the strongest steel, and 7075-T6 Al (the strongest available) is as strong as the weakest steel. A 1" bar of Ti is nowhere even close to the strength of a 3" bar of GOOD steel. Ti is the best as far as strength to weight, but strength to size (or cost), good steel has a huge advantage.

Yes I was wrong, I had some wrong information a while back. Steel is a lot stronger than aluminum. I learned with my Revo, breaking those darn aluminum rocker posts.

RC poster
    does anyone kno how to install a mip or any other boost bottle to a 2.5 or just pro .15

Bat, I believe when you buy the Boost Bottle kit, it comes with step-by-step instructions. The only hard thing is that you have to drill a hole in your carb.

RC poster
    yea that what i was wondering about. i didn't buy one cuz i didn't kno how to drill it and where. i just wont buy one. leave it to the pros. is there any other great ways to boost an engine beside nitro ??????(wanted that too but cant find a place on the chassis to put it) i have a great air filter and a bigger head

Banned by Warnings
    they have 1/8 scale t-maxxes?

Banned by Warnings
    sigh...titanium itself is very weak and brittle, but im sure you guys are referring to titanium alloy. anyways, titanium ALLOY is 60% stronger than steel yet 40% lighter.

obviously a 3 inch thich peice of steel is better than a 1 inch thick peice of titanium, but thats a pointless comparison. however, a 1 inch thick peice of titanium is stronger and lighter than steel of the SAME SIZE.

RC Champion
    about tuned pipes: the stock blue tuned pipe on a 3'3 4 tec or jato is your best choise, it just needs the stinger [ outlet ] opeded up, use a 13/64 th drill bit, air filter choise, motorsaver, not k&n, tires, unless you just drift, use foam tires. shocks, springs, shock oil and placement make a ton of difference, i know since you see my nave as a jato owner does not meen that i do not own just a jato, i have a 4 tec, 3 jatos 1revo and a t maxx.if ou have a 2.5 4 tec you can upgrade the engine to a 3.3 but the gearing and most driveline parts are different as well. the pipe mod works well on any traxxas pipe because the stinger is too small, it is a no brainer that whenever you change a part: pipe, air filter gears and tires you must retune, but you must retune for weather and climate as well. as far as glow plugs, a hot glow plug works best for 20% nitro, above this nitro% the cooler glow plug heat range is needed.

RC Enthusiast
    The 4tec just got to my office Its mint. The body was never painted and the electric starter was never removed from the bag its perfect.. cant wait to take it apart to check everything cause it looks like it has not been run in years.. The darn tires have NO wear at all.. sweet

RC Enthusiast
    dose any body know where i can get an upper graphite chassis, seeing how traxxas discontinued it. it has been hard to come by lately

RC Competitor
    They've stop making it ^ ^??? hope not better be carefull with mine in that case then...
    Moore speed cyclone
    4-tec 3.3 Polished n ported

RC Enthusiast
    Check out my Custom Chassis in the gallery http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...12#post3094612

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah they really did stop making the graphite upper chassis so i fig. if i cant buy it I will build it. just like i did with the lowwer chassis

ARE YOU STALKING ME???????!!!!!!!!!!????????
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD_GTS_03
    Anyone know how to keep fuel from getting on the brake disc ??

put a lil piece of plastic over it

ARE YOU STALKING ME???????!!!!!!!!!!????????
    im runnin futaba servos (s3oo er what ever) on my maxx are them good for throttle and just replace the fordward revers servo with the traxxas one

has anyone ever thoght of a chain drive nitro 4-tech
    Last edited by dannymaxx; 12-30-2007 at 10:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo_rules
    dose any body know where i can get an upper graphite chassis, seeing how traxxas discontinued it. it has been hard to come by lately
    actualy that griphite part should come in stock at www.modelsport.com because the 4tec pro is in stock there!
    A day without sun shine is like, you know, night.

RC Competitor
    Chain drive would be heavy & clunky, belts just work, sure they wear out/stretch but even now top race kits still use belts so they must be doing something right
    Moore speed cyclone
    4-tec 3.3 Polished n ported

RC Champion
    Does anyone know where I can order the carbon fiber upper deck?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Never mind, I found a site and just ordered it. I ordered it from gshobby.com
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato25n33
    Never mind, I found a site and just ordered it. I ordered it from gshobby.com
    Never mind on that. The site said the parts were in stock, but I got an email from them this morning saying they no longer have them. They refunded my money.

Does anyone know where I can get these parts?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Enthusiast
    so i think the next thing I am going to fab. up is a roll cage. not that it is easy to flip, but when it dose I always tear something up. I have a spare revo roll bar mabe i can retor fit it.

RC Champion
    What size body do I need to buy? 190 or 200mm?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Will Big Bore shocks work on the front and rear?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...658+&search=Go

The Tower link says for the front. I need to order 2 sets of those, right? 1 for the front and 1 for the rear?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    LOL is it still better to have sway bars only in the front?
    jato25n33 you need a 200mm body for your n 4 tec and a 190mm for an e 4 tec.
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    LOL is it still better to have sway bars only in the front?
    jato25n33 you need a 200mm body for your n 4 tec and a 190mm for an e 4 tec.
    I dont understand your first sentence.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    Is it better to have swAY BARS only in the back or in front and back?
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC poster
    hi ya.can any one help me please i new to this hobby.ive got Traxxas Nitro 4 Tec Pro limited edition with ez electric start.ive been looking every where for clutch bell,clutch shoes with springs or clutch kit and optional gears,tank and tool for clutch and shoes and gears.if any one can help me that would be great thanks

RC Racer
    i just bought myself a 4-tec 3.3 this looks awsome i have to wait tell spring tell i am going mto drive it i also have a revo 3.3 and a s-maxx 2.5r and a elec rustler i am hooked on this stuff hard
    WORK TO LIVE!, NOT LIVE TO WORK!!!!!

RC poster
    if any one has a powerling front upper arm holder or lower rear arms for sale i need them for a 3.3 pro prodject

RC poster
    if anyone is having belt problems let me know i found 6mm wide belts that fit all around and i found 9mm rear belt conversion

RC poster
    Hey guys, am just wondering. i have just brought a 2.5 4-Tec off ebay.. how easy it it to upgrade to the 3.3 engine?

Thx

Giz

RC Qualifier
    It takes about a half an hour to install its really easy, its a direct drop in, use the same parts
    No other tec compares (:

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by I-want-K&N
    Watup,
    I was looking on the K&N filter web site and it showed a universal filter and i was about the size of a Nitro air filter so if you have any Ideas or recommendations of any K&N filter for my 4-tec, TELL ME,
    PEACE OUT
    I got my k&n airfilter from ebay and it fits great

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    K&N themselves say not to use that filter for nitro engines. It lets small particles in. You're going to regret running it.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Racer

springs

i have been told time and time again by thelhs that tc3 and tc 4 will not fit the big bore shocks and i am about to go freekingg nuts .i am going to take them my dawmn self down to the lhs and find out once and for all.

RC Racer
    check out these hop ups go to the gallery under the name jatofast2007

RC Racer
    how about a competion 4 tec 3.3 with forced induction hood to the carb filter so no morte hot dirty air,comp shocks foams ,new body belt tensioner jato style tank so no more inlet distortion from heat.roto start, comp brakes,cvds,ace bearings,pivet ball steering and backend,digital servos ,diff chassiswith machined areas for motor mount for lower cg rec pack under tankand the genuis touch of traxxas it would be the baddest ever.

RC poster
    Great article brother. One dissapointment, Powerline Racing has discontinued theire 4tec hopups. I dont care what the site says, I talked to the owner son, Rich testerday and he explained how and why they no longer carry 4tec hop ups. that being said, does anyone know of a company out there that is making uprades for the 4tec? As far as my research has taken me, we are all alone. Traxxas doesnt even support upgrades...

RC Qualifier
    onebigman647 what motor is that u got and how does it run.
    my dad had my cars on a trip