RC Racer

Why dont they make upgrades for the 4 tec any more ?

I think its edit how traxxas has just forgot about the 4tec they hardly have any upgrade and the upgrades they have are like five or six upgrades like front and rear alloy knuckle,aluminum hexs,alloy pulleys and blue alloy pully shafts.common this is really a shame its a great car but is being limited by traxxas come on we need some graphite and carbon fiber parts again
    Last edited by Double G; 07-08-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: language removal

RC Competitor
    I totally agree with you! The only place to find hop ups now is almost exclusively eBay. I think their reasoning is that the model is older and being replaced by new things, and the following of the 4-tec is significantly less than the other models leading to a smaller market. Just look at the Maxx forum compared to this one, they get multiple posts in a day as opposed to here where there is maybe a couple in a week or month even. I guess we will just need to make our own parts

RC Champion
    I would love to have available carbon fiber parts for my 4-tec.. but I don't want to have to make them. I've done that before with some of my other vehicles, but the 4tec is more complex.. There aren't enough flat areas to make the parts easily.. Mine has been very durable even with mostly stock parts so I'm not going to go crazy with it.. Lets face it, you don't tend to crash touring cars like a monster truck or stadium truck and this car wasn't marketed as a race car.. Yes its faster than just about anything out there (XO1 ) excluded, but its not going to crash that much and being super light doesn't really help the car..Also, you don't want to crash a car made of carbon fiber...Its not flexible and will break easily. It won't stop me from buying parts if they are available, especially aluminum ones.. but right now they are too expensive..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    the worst part is that the upgrades they do offer do nothing for performance. what good will aluminum pulleys do? the blue replacement parts would look nice but that's it. not worth the money to me. the traxxas 4-tec page has "car of the year" award all over it so it is obviously still somewhat relevant so why won't they do more with it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbishop98 View Post
    what good will aluminum pulleys do?
    If a small rock finds it's way between the stock pulley and the belt, it will damage both things, same with the differential... At least with the aluminum pulley, they only damaged thing will be the belt...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    I have also found evidence of a rock that had gotten between my pinion gear and the spur gear. It left a nick on both gears. I have had to replace 1st gear, 2nd gear and the clutch bell/bell gear. Now the only place I will run my 4-Tec is in an absolutely clean parking lot. I'll bring a broom if I have to just so I can run my car.
    Last edited by Monte_1977; 07-27-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC poster
    I as well do not understand why a company that has the car of the year,will not provide the upgrades discussed for the 4 tec.The would sell more of these upgrades than they think which also would mean more sales of the 4 tec over all. Isnt that the point ? ????
    Last edited by brent69; 10-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

RC Racer
    Yeah and that would please the consumer and make them money i bet it would only make the 4 tec that much more popular....... I hope someone from traxxas is seeing this maybe they will start to make these parts again only thing to do is wait and c what happens

RC Racer
    Do you think maybe its because of the release of the new Rally?

RC Racer
    I dont think it has anything to do with the new rally i think they simply just dont car about it any more . Dont you think they would have made a new revised version like every other car/truck out there

RC Champion
    Unfortunately the 4-tec hasn't changed much over the years with the exception of the 3.3 motor and a 2.4 radio.. Mine was originally a pro 15 version and only a few of the parts have changed..its now a full blown 3.3. The class that this car is in is not as popular as you might think and this car is not a race car.. Its was and is strictly a basher. Sure you can race it, but speed alone doesn't win races.. I have a couple of brushless electrics from established racing makes that will eat the 4tec for lunch.. I've made mine into a great handling car, but its not the same as the purpose built racers.. One of the biggest problems is what makes it appealing in the first place.. Its extremely fast.. Too fast for just about any track you can run on, but its great for bashing.It reminds me of a car I used to own.. I had a Buick Gran national in the 80's. the car was great straight line, but handled like a cadillac eldorado.. . traxxas used to make just about every hop up part for the 4tec imaginable, but the demand is not what you would think. As I stated in a previous post, the car is very durable as it comes in stock form and short of driving into a solid object its pretty hard to break..I've crashed mine in just about every imaginable way and except for the occasional belt.. nothing has had to be replaced except tires.. but thats another story. I would love to see better availability of after market parts as bling is nice.. but thats all it would be for this car..I wouldn't be surprised if and when traxxas discontinues the car.. They are heading towards more electric at this point and slowly phasing out the Nitro's.. Not quickly, but it will happen..
    Last edited by cenracer1; 10-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Hah my brother had a 86 gn