RC Qualifier

Question Best truck tires for carpet racing?

I have a local RC club that races indoors on a carpet track. The track is pretty small and tight (it's setup one evening a week inside a school hall). The main racing is in 1/10 touring cars, but they do have buggy races if there are enough there on the night. I am going to take my truck to the track soon, and wondered what tires would be best suited to racing on carpet.

I will be using an AE T4 truck I know this is a Traxxas forum, but I also have a Rustler which I use for bashing, the T4 is going to be for racing. There are also lots of knowledgable guys on these popular Traxxas forums!

I *think* the tourers and buggies that race there mainly use mini-pin tires. I currently have 3 set of tires that I can use:

1. Stock front ribs & rear mini-pins
    2. Pro-line Dirt Hawgs
    3. Proline Road Hawgs

I really want to use one of these sets of tires, rather than having to buy a set or foams or something. I am guessing that the rib/pin tires would be the best for grip, but would the Road Hawgs be any good on carpet? With the Road Hawgs on, the truck sits lower to the ground, so this would definately help to keep the truck stable. I may get stiffer springs too if that will help.

Also, is there any chance a 2WD truck will be able to keep up with buggies? Probably 4WD mod motor cars like Losi XXX, Schumacher CAT, Yokomo MR4-BC etc. My T4 is Novak brushless powered though...
    Last edited by Toon; 10-07-2003 at 04:26 PM.

RC Champion
    You may need to find what set of tires works best for the way you drive. I have Pro-Line Speed Hawgs. They tend to slide a little in the corner but I do not mind. I learned to dring on dirt and find that I do better with a little less traction in the corner.
    Run Hard, Have Fun, Relax its a hobby.

RC Qualifier
    That's why I thought the Road Hawgs might be a good choice - they may slide a little in the corners. Pins might grip too much when cornering, and cause the truck to roll. Buggies are probably ok using pins due to their lower ground clearance and CG, but a truck will roll more easily. I have seen touring cars roll in the corners on the track due to too much grip, so a truck would probably do it a lot more easily and frequently.

I measured the diameter's of my different tires today:

Dirt Hawg ~ 104 mm
    Stock rear ~ 102 mm
    Stock front ~ 100 mm
    Road Hawg ~ 90 mm

So by using the Road Hawgs, the ground clearance will be 10-12mm lower than when using stock tires. That will definately help reduce rollovers.

Just gotta try it out at the track now. But I can't yet - I broke a front A-arm on the T4 at the weekend whilst doing some light bashing (hit a metal post ),and I can't get a replacement until this weekend at the earliest - if my LHS can get them in that is...

RC Racer
    Hmm, I raced my T3 with Bowtie rears and Edge fronts. Ran awesome, but killed the tires. Competitive guys ran foam tires all around, with a built up spot on the outside of the tire, like a lip on the sidewall. I guess it flexed and caused more tire to come in contact with the carpet during turns. Good luck!
    This is xXEdgeCrusherXx...I'm just at school! Yippee
    ----Got Milk?-----