RC Racer

Cool Pics of my custom painted Suburban.

I just finished painting a Chevy Suburban. I kept it clean and lean. No graphics or masking this time.

What do you all think?

RC Qualifier
    Looks sweet. But a couple of graphics may make it look even better than it already looks. Nice job!
    -=ÖP¥=-
    Pics and list of mods to my 3.0 Sirio Maxx
    http://members.cardomain.com/opysmaxx

RC Qualifier
    I agree.

RC Qualifier
    You may wanna cut yourself a whole in the windshield as well..... overheating is never good.

looks nice, you should just put the car head lights and door decals on
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

You may wanna cut yourself a whole in the windshield as well..... overheating is never good.
    I'm sure he's just got it propped on there for looks right now. I always try and take pics of mine before I cut cooling holes as well.

Looks very sharp jhoward. Very nice fade, and excellant choice on colors. I have to disagree with what opy said about the graphics though. That is unless he just meant the headlights, grille, taillights, etc. Keep it clean with few graphics IMO.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Qualifier
    Ya, it looks naked without the lights.
    -=ÖP¥=-

RC Qualifier
    And maybe a windshield banner.
    -=ÖP¥=-

RC Racer
    Thanks for the compliments folks.

I didn't apply any of the decals because I am selling the body on eBay and I find that buyers tend to prefer to put the decals on themselves.

If I were going to keep it, I would definitely put the lights and grill on and all. I would also cut some ventilation holes in it and a hole in the side window to gas up through.

One last thing I'd do if I were keeping it would be to tint the windows. That would make it really slick.

yeah, you normally sell your bodies on ebay?
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

RC Racer
    I sell most of the bodies I paint on eBay. I really like to paint so I do a body every 2 or 3 weeks. If I didn't sell them, I'd have 15 bodies by now! Also, it's good to get some money back so I can buy more clear bodies and paint. They are very expensive. A lexan body will cost from $25 to $29 and I use over $5 worth of paint on each one.

Painting bodies is my favorite part of this hobby, aside from running wot through a field with some good jumps in it!

RC Racer
    As a matter of fact, I sold a Crowd Pleazer to someone in Minnesota last month. If you see an E-Maxx with a lightning bolt paint scheme out there it may be my work...

wow, that looks nice, do you do any stadium truck bodies for the xxx-t?
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

RC Racer
    Thanks very much.

I've never painted any bodies other than T-Maxx bodies since that is the only vehicle I have. If you want me to paint you a body, just PM me and we can start chatting about it.

RC Competitor

Ebay

Can you post a link whenever your ready to sell a body on Ebay
    If you cant stand behind our troops, Please stand in front of them

alright, i'll do that, too bad i'm not in need for a new body right now
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

RC Racer
    pit_basher,
    It's against the rules to post links to my eBay stuff on this board. It is considered advertising and I was asked not to do it (by the moderators). If you want, PM me with your email address and I'll email you when I put a body up for sale.

Do you airbrush all of your bodies?
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

RC Racer
    I usually airbrush them. This Suburban I did with spray "rattle" cans. I have been having trouble with my airbrushes so I decided to try a different technique. I like it so far.

RC Enthusiast
    whats the trick or steps to fading. do u choose a certain color or shade and go from there. any tips are greatly appreciated. thanks alot
    - the new rolo

RC Racer
    Hey Watercolor, welcome to the boards!

There are a lot of links out there with tips on painting. The first tip they all mention is start with your dark colors, then move to the lighter colors. That's because the dark colors may show through the lighter colors.

To get a good fade, I picked an imaginary line on the truck that I wanted to be the end of solid/beginning of fade and I painted straight from one side of the truck to the other over that imaginary line. The natural overspray of the spray cans created the fade. For the next color, I started with the end of solid area again and back filled to the existing color making sure to back the fade really well. The 3rd color didn't require any special techniques. I actually did it backwards and painted from silver-blue-black instead of dark to light. I totally forgot. But it didn't matter because I put the paint on thick and none bled through.

If you want some links to paint articles, just send me a PM and I'll forward them to you.

RC Qualifier
    the blue in the middle looks sweet and the fade from silver isnt bad
    keep it with no decals looks better that way

RC Enthusiast
    with using spraypaint do u get little bumps in ur paint job? every time i hav used spray paint i always seem to get tiny dust particles. also do u sand ur bdies first? thanks
    - the new rolo

RC Racer
    I lightly scour the bodies with a scrubbie sponge and soap before I paint them.

Yes, I get a faint overspray dust inside the body. Not lumps at all, just a fine dusting of the first color that shows under the next colors.

RC Racer
    How would you go about putting tint on the windows with real car window tint?? if so i had got sum for free from this comany they sent me little squares of it as samples may be a cool thing to do
    Sirio .18-maxx, Chrome Roll Cage, RRP Steel Spur, Integy Piggy backs, airtronics MX-3, hitech 645 steer servo, full GA Titanium skids, alum bulks,.......$$$

RC Racer
    Actually, Faskolor makes a liquid paint for window tinting. You use it in an airbrush. You could use regular automotive tint I guess. I don't see why not...

RC Racer
    how would you go about applying tint to lexan bodies??
    Sirio .18-maxx, Chrome Roll Cage, RRP Steel Spur, Integy Piggy backs, airtronics MX-3, hitech 645 steer servo, full GA Titanium skids, alum bulks,.......$$$

RC Racer
    I would just apply it to the insides of the windows just like a real car. You generally have to peel off a backing, wet the target area, apply the tint, then squeege out all of the water.

RC Qualifier
    yea but do a good job u could make that body look real cheep lif theirs bubbles id get a spray on one for the car if u can find it
    t-maxx dual gas tank, Robinson Racing 72t Hardened spur gear, , aluminem bulkheads, 17 fin engine head by american cnc , aluminem skid plates, black trinity monster springs, mugan air filter filter, 40 series big joes, aluminem bell crank,blue rpm wide a-arms, Hitec 645mg, and plasti dipped eletronics , http://community.webshots.com/user/djjameshobby

RC Racer

Thumbs up

jhoward

VERY NICE JOB on the Chevy Suburban.
    T-Maxx 2.5 May 9th 2003
    RC10GT AE Oct. 4th 2003

RC Enthusiast
    For those interested in painting their own bodies, below is a link that you may find helpful. It doesn't really matter whether or not you're airbrushing or using "rattle" cans, because if you take your time, you can achieve nice results with either method.

http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...ntedmyst.shtml

Hope this helps out.

And by the way jhoward, nice job on the Suburban

RC Qualifier
    J whats your ebay id name? I don't think putting that up would be a problem...
    Why am I always broke?

RC Racer
    My stuff trades under the name "Easytrader5".

Or, search for "t-maxx body"

Thanks for the interest and compliments guys.

sweet body dude, goes good with them bigjoes.
    don't be scared,just grip it,and rip it

2.5 t-maxx w/ sirio pipe,rpm bumpers/a-arms, CNR head,2.5 motorsaver filter
    t-maxx 0s15 cvr-x, ae pipe
    2.5 rustler venom temp gauge/failsafe, blue rpm rims and road rage tires on all 4's
    team asociated rc10t3(duratraxx streak esc and speed gem 14t motor)

RC Qualifier
    yea the big joes u drive with those tires ?? how do u like em i just baught them and have yet to put them on !what servo u use
    t-maxx dual gas tank, Robinson Racing 72t Hardened spur gear, , aluminem bulkheads, 17 fin engine head by american cnc , aluminem skid plates, black trinity monster springs, mugan air filter filter, 40 series big joes, aluminem bell crank,blue rpm wide a-arms, Hitec 645mg, and plasti dipped eletronics , http://community.webshots.com/user/djjameshobby

RC Racer
    I've never run the Big Joes. I only use them for pictures. The stock wheels/tires work fine for how I run my truck.

There was a very good discussion about Big Joe's and servos a couple of weeks ago. If you do a search you will probably find it.

They do look sweet though. Don't they?