I Went Brushless!!!!

WOOHOO i finally went brushless. WOOHHOOO!!!!!

that is a brushless fan im talkin about. lol yep mudd riding gets the heat goin fast. so i went to radio shack and bought me a fan. and it jus so happens to be brushless. i run it off a 9.6 volt pack(thanx for the suggestion bfg10k) but i think i could use a 10cell pack. guess i'll have to make one up. im gonna try it out tonight to see how it does tho.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Champion
    looks pretty good.with the cage. I thought you did went bl but nevermind

RC Qualifier
    I wanna do something like that too! But i dont know how to keep it sturdy,from flopping around like a rag doll.Ne ideas on how to keep it sturdy?And if i used a fan like that,how long would a 9.6volt battery last?
    Last edited by dr_maxx; 03-18-2003 at 06:46 PM.
    X LeGaCyMaXxiN.Inc X
    MSN.Msngr JJS_420@hotmail.com

RC Qualifier
    Any Ideas?
    X LeGaCyMaXxiN.Inc X

RC Qualifier
    Maybe make a wooden or metal plate like bfg10k.

Or

Like make a mount on top the controller with 3 peices of wood like screw 1 into the other

Be creative!!!
    the left lane is for slow drivers~~The Right lane is for faster drivers but the place on top of everyone's car is for maxxers who Don'T fell like sitting in Traffic.

RC Racer
    You could make a little cage like this, and mount your fans off of it. Using the 4 holes that hold on the bulkheads. Click the pics for more views. I;m thinking of adding a 3rd fan in front of the motors.

Or just use the motor wires:
    150mph E-Maxx.....Strapped to my Ninja.

www.petrongelli.com

i dont know. in the mud it dint really help. prolly because i had a quick cover over it and all. im gonna make a normal ride tomorrow and see how it goes. if it still poopy then i gonna get some smaller fans like randy has and try them out.

randy- what do you use to power your fans?

and for a brace, i use some extra wire cage material like used on that cage you see in the pic. i bent it into a 90 angle to where the top part was flush with th top of the motor. i zip ted it to my chassis.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Racer
    One 9v battery powers both fans. Going to add a 2nd battery for 18v's to the fans for those hot days.

www.petrongelli.com

RC Qualifier
    TTT..I just bought The DC Brushless Fan.But the guy @ radio shack said it wont power off of 9.6 volt battery.SO i boought 2 packs of "AA'' size battery holders,thats what he said Ne way.But i was wondering if a 9.5v battery will power this insread of the battery holders of 8 aa batts.
    X LeGaCyMaXxiN.Inc X

RC Qualifier
    /\
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    X LeGaCyMaXxiN.Inc X

RC Racer
    I've never seen a 9.5 volt battery. But I use a 9 volt to power my 2 micro fans. If you have a bigger fan, might not power it for very long. I think a 9v is about 300 mah, aa cells are about 500 maybe. Won't be as fast as 8 aa's, which is 12 volts. But 1 9v is a lot lighter than 8 aa's.

www.petrongelli.com

RC Qualifier
    TTT,will my fan run off rechargable 8 "AA" batts?
    X LeGaCyMaXxiN.Inc X

RC Competitor
    dr maxx

If you already bought the 8 aa's just try it. It will be heavy though.

The guy at radio shack doesn't know what he's talking about. I bought the 12v brushless fan they sell (as well as snagged a few from pc power supplies) I just wired them to a 9v battery hookup that radio shack sells. 5 oack for $2. The fan runs fine but it doesn't run at full potential. The 9v batt doesn't give it the 12 volts it needs therefore it runs at a slower rpm.

As for runtime on a 9v batt I can't say. I didn't hook mine up with a switch just hooked the batt to the fan to run it. The most I got out of it was three runs. The problem was I ALWAYS forgot to unplug the fan. I'd go to run as see it was plgged in and completely dead.

Somewhere floating around on the net is a diagram of how to wire a fan directly to your batts on your maxx. This runs the fan at 14.4 volts which is more than it needs. It will probably shorten the fans lifespan but if you are good with wiring etc then it provides a simple solution to powering the fan.

One last thing. Do yahoo search on pc cooling supplies. There is a place called something like pcfans.com or something similar to that. The big fans were less than $8. I also got a setup with two small fans mounted to a giant heatsink for $4. I'm still trying to figure out something to do with that setup.

Also look to try and find 5 volt fans. You could run these off three aa's and save alot of weight.