RC poster

new nitro sport pro. 15 help needed

just started in nitro r/c. Bought my first nitro car friday. Nitro sport to be exact. I ran the first break in tank and refueled and let it cool down. Adjusted the HSN like the manual said to do for break in and have had nothing but trouble since. Ive closed the HSN all the way and backed it off 2 1/2 turbs back to original setting. Still having trouble. The problem im having is its hard to start and the only way ive been able to get.it started is if i hold the trottle open a bit. But when i.let off the throttle it dies out. Ive changed the plug. So i know its not that. Could it be that my throttle trim isnt set right on my remote. Getting very frustrated. Please help me. And even better help if you live anywhere near lafayette louisiana maybe we can meet up and you could help.

RC Competitor
    Don't rush break in. Follow the Traxxas instructions exactly. Sounds like you may have started tweaking needles a bit too quickly. Also, be prepared for lots of stalls during initial break in. You may have to adjust the throttle trim on the transmitter up, or keep on the trigger a bit when it is very rich like that. Don't be tempted to lean it out during break in!

The truck is extremely rich to provide lubrication as the piston wears during initial operation. These pistons dont have rings like your car pistons, they have a small ridge forged into the piston and a tapered cylinder. The excess fuel keeps temps low and lubrication high, as you progress through the break you will slowly add heat, and reduce lubrication, until the engine is ready to tune for power.

Did I mention, don't rush it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC poster
    Thanks. I think i adjusted the hsn to much. Im gonna put it back to factory setting and readjust my throttle trim. Hopefully i can get it going right like i did right out the box. Probably.go ahead and slowly run 2-3 more tanks of fuel before i start adjusting needles

RC Champion
    Don't adjust your thottle trim. You need to turn in your idles screw about 1/4 turn. Turn it to the right, clockwise. It should stop stalling.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Don't adjust your thottle trim. You need to turn in your idles screw about 1/4 turn. Turn it to the right, clockwise. It should stop stalling.
    No. Read his original post. He is still in break in.

Try to avoid tinkering with idle screw until after you have broken in and tuned the engine. Just use the throttle trim and trigger finger to keep it running. Once you get it broken in and tune the HSN, adjust the LSN per the 3-4 sec pinch test, then set the idle screw. You may need to tweak the HSN one last time, but the idle screw should be good then.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC Champion
    I really do not think turning the idle speed screw in by 1/4 turn is going to hurt it....Its pretty hard to get through the break in if the engine won't idle...
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC poster
    you have three adjustments on the carb try turnining in on your idle adjustment you may have to adjust it later after u get ur hs and ls adjusted

RC poster
    Thanks everyone for the help. I brought it back to my hobby shop and he said my hsn was good for breakin with this louisiana heat. But being that i was running rich he said it was ok that i had to keep bumping the throttle to keep it running. My idle was like half a turn low and lsn was about 1/4 low. But its running, Idleing,
    Last edited by Double G; 07-29-2012 at 08:06 PM.