RC Competitor

Engine rebuild or whole new engine?

My 3.3 just does not seem to have very little or any commpresion at all any more because it does not even idle let alone start easily. I think this is the aftermath of the air filter coming off.So should I rebuild it or use my extra?.thanks

RC Champion
    Hey if you have a extra that's always a good choice

RC Champion
    the 3.3 motors are actually getting cheaper. i seen a new block on ebay for 85 bucks. have to use your old carb,clutch,starter,air breather. etc.

even if you rebuild a motor you still have to break it in. but if you are a tinkering type guy, have fun.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Buy a new engine. Cause then you also get new bearings.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Since you have no internal damage, check your conrod first. Put a drop of 3 in 1 househhold oil onto the part of the conrod that connects to the crankshaft, with the glowplug out turn the flywheel back and forth, if the oil squeezes completely out, the conrod is on it's way out... If not and the oil pretty much stays there, the conrod should be fine...

Me, I'd drop in a new set of bearings (I used Avid ceramics but the regular Avids are great and 1/2 the price) $30.00
    New piston and sleeve and conrod from ebay $60.00.

So for $90.00 you have a new mill with new conrod, ceramic bearings, piston, sleeve for $100.00

Or you can ebay a pulled new engine for about $105.00.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Racer
    Can you give a pic of the place to put the oil? I just rebuilt a 2.5 with a modded crank and turbo cuts on the sleeve to help the fuel get in. Idles great but I did get the motor to 300 after break in, since I went to a different elevation and forgot to tune again. And I want to know how much damage I done to the Con Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by JustynKace View Post
    Can you give a pic of the place to put the oil? I just rebuilt a 2.5 with a modded crank and turbo cuts on the sleeve to help the fuel get in. Idles great but I did get the motor to 300 after break in, since I went to a different elevation and forgot to tune again. And I want to know how much damage I done to the Con Rod.
    You just take the starter plate off, the conrod only connects to the crank in one spot...... That's where you put the drop of oil....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    I rebuilt my engines for 8 years, but last year did the replacement. Never again will I rebuild. For only a small amount more than a rebuild I get a whole new block, bearings, crank, head, and carb. Duh, no brainer!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JustynKace View Post
    Look at the end of the connecting rod in this picture, that's where you'll need the oil.

This is how it'll look in the engine -

Matthew 7:7