just got the mip cvds installed, only two hard runs an the next thing i know the shaft that connects to the wheel side is gone so i don't know if the cup exploded but i can tell you this: the pin is gone but the set screw is still there. i used red locktite, the only thing i can think of is i didn't have the the little indentation toward the set screw, guess we will never know :mad:
are you running the tekin in the summit
yes. its ripping everything apart but I'm determined to make it more reliable. probably should stay off the street!
Turn power control down to about 60%. No more broken parts.
If the set screw is still in, but the pin is gone, its more than likely you didnt get the small flat spot lined up correctly. The only other scenario would be that the pin broke. And that IS possible. But even still, the set screw would have kept at least a part of it in place. CVDs aren't always the strongest answer. They still rely on tiny parts like pins and set screws... which inevitably become the weak link.
If you're not sure if you had the flat spot facing up, chances are it wasn't. This would most definetly be your point of failure. When installing mine on my Slash 4x4 I made sure the flat spot was facing up but forgot one axle...I figured "Meh it'll be right with plenty of loctite". Guess which one came undone and lost forever :(
well i have a replacement on its way, gonna make sure this time that pin is in correctly!
Hi out there over the deep blue sea.
It really is believable!
As an owner of a 2200MMM Summit with a lot of fine parts, I can show you what happened to my brandnew MIP's in the first test yesterday:
I was hoping, they would do their job as well as in my 2 AX10 crawlers, but so I'm very disappointed.
They are assembled exactly as they shall be. And I did not really overstress them.
What I'm doing now is to make them more solid, drilling out the holes of the pins 2/10th of a milimeter to use 2.5mm drillshafts as pins, cutting the 4mm thread in both sides of the middle part for using 2 setscews and work it all out properly.
Hope they will last longer than 45 minutes...
[QUOTE=jp86gt;5167078]no more fun either :)[/QUOTE]
It's a whole lot more fun to drive an unbroken truck than it is wrenching on a broken one.
Punch control does not reduce your power or speed. It just reduces the shock to the drivetrain of hard throttle acceleration.
No amount of beefing up your truck will protect it from lack of throttle control. 1:1 race cars come apart in the hands of an unskilled driver, too.
Brushless power corrupts brushlessly?
J/K I've had the sickness before.
Trying to figure out a way to keep the GPS mounted when slowing down a 15 lb truck from 60 mph is no easy task.
[quote]It's a whole lot more fun to drive an unbroken truck than it is wrenching on a broken one. [/quote]
I set punch control to 100%, can still do all kinds of crazy things, but I DO them knowing there is no shock to any components, it's great. Even if it's only a 1 second dampening, it saves everthing.
so has anyone used MIP axles in a summit for a long term successfully?
I heard they do ok in the stampede/ slash but I think the torque and flexibility of the summit dose them in.
sounds like someone should custom make a set of cvd's with some beefy pins.
[QUOTE=noir 522;5352517]so has anyone used MIP axles in a summit for a long term successfully?
Yes, more or less.
Some batteries after doing the work I explained above I lost one half of the MIP in an area of 100 x 50 metres with rocks, sand, grass and road. The drill-pin was broken. I asked my two sons to search for it and, I couldn't believe it, they found it.
Costed me 10.- Euros :)
Now I use other drills and protect the shafts with heat shrink tubes, so the half can't slip out.
Works good since 6 sets of batteries.
That looks like a great idea.
noir, I really want to try a set but they seem to not do so well in the summit like you said. I wonder if its more installation/setup error? Or if a simple mod like the above mentioned heat shrink would help.
I've also been trying to rack my brain on a mod that would strengthen the stock plastic shafts but haven't come up with anything.
Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
Sorry, the pics don't show up anymore.
Have to change the upload service.
I've thought about strengthening the stock shafts for a long time, but I didn't find a solution too.
A little workup on the MIP's is acceptable, I think.
Ok, the (not really low) price should be for good working parts.... so I don't understand MIP .
[QUOTE=German;5353434]Sorry, the pics don't show up anymore.
Have to change the upload service.
That's good, I didn't get a chance to study them and I thought those little blue boxes was due to my slow internet connection.
First test with the new service:
Because of the greater diameter of the pins I had to file out the slits in the heads a little bit.
A pic with the shrink tube will follow.
Here they are "unlosable".
Hope you are not paying for that service cuz I am still collecting blue boxes on this side.
Sorry, but yesterday I saw the pics, today they are lost.