PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Cable ripped from the receiver

Selbio
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I was playing around with my brand new Stampede today and when I lost control and the stampede kept running thanks to the mechanical speed control. Well the thing went as far as my neighbor's garden, the antenna tube got stuck and the cable was ripped out right out of the receiver, the tube holder located on the chassis was bent and broken too!!
I still have around 17" of cable left, only about 5" were lost. I don't know if traxxas if going to cover. Anyways I am not looking to spend more money at the moment so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to tie the antenna cable to what is left inside the receiver box, or solder it, or just get a new receiver(Not really looking forward to this option).

Thanks,

Selby

jtcfanof3
03-16-2006, 09:20 PM
IMO,give TRAXXAS a call,my guess is they will send you a new antenna wire for free,just pop the case open and resolder,its easy.
After that,id wrap the excess antenna wire around the tube and use a small rubber band or shrinktube too hold the wire tight and not swinging in the wind too get ripped off again.

Soonerpede
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I bought a replacement wire for my receiver and it cost me like $1.25. Before I bought that replacement I used 24 inches of stereo wire and soldered it on and it worked good, except it would not fit through the antenna tube. I wrapped it around my tower temporarily until I soldered on my replacement wire.

Selbio
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I emailed traxxas and I'm waiting on them to get back to me.

Now, will any type of wire do as far it can go through the antenna tube? How long does it need to be?

I'm anxious to open the receiver when I get home and solder a wire on there just I could take it out for a spin until Traxxas contacts me back.

Thanks,

Selby

razer
03-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Misbehavin' has a good article on receiver antenna replacement: here (http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/receiver-repair/g-receiver-repair.asp). He doesn't specify a wire guage, but it shouldn't really matter as long as you can get it through the antenna tube. Use stranded wire, not solid. I think I used 30AWG the last time I had to replace one. Length is important because it's based on the radio wavelength. Ideally, you should use 27" for a 27MHz receiver like the stock one. Anything longer or shorter could impair reception.

Selbio
03-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks everybody,

I called Traxxas ealier today and they told me to get a 24 gauge 24" wire and solder it on there. I got some wire from radioshack took care of the problem and even tested the receiver, I'll see how it performs tomorrow when I take the stampede for a spin.

Would it cause any interference if I make knots to the wire? And What is that waxy stuff that is smeared all over the board?

Thanks a lot

Selby