PDA

View Full Version : HP vs. Torque

DaTMaxx
04-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Horsepower Vs. Torque.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How come all of you Sport-maxxer's are putting smaller spur gears and bigger clutch bells in for more top speed?

Nascar for example:
You get these engine builders now days that are so obsessed with hp they totally ignore the torque facter when torque it's self is what puts the actual power to the rear wheels. When Nascar started increasing torque thats when they started going REEALLY!!! fast!!! Shooting for hp Nascar had speeds of 160-170mph When they started increasing torque they started going 180-190mph. Think about it.

Maybe you 2 wheel drive nitro racers 'outa try bigger spur gears in stead of smaller. Exspecialy the sport maxxer's that's what MONSTER TRUCKS are all about that LOW END car crushing climbing torque. Monster trucks arn't really about going super fast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a little something to think about. Try it!

snyiper
04-22-2004, 09:48 PM
When Nascar started increasing torque thats when they started going REEALLY!!! fast!!! Shooting for hp Nascar had speeds of 160-170mph When they started increasing torque they started going 180-190mph. Think about it.

Lets see The Big old Caddy motors are real torque Monsters I have not seem one of those in Nascar in a while wonder why? Also can you say restrictor plate? Yea thats right That is what keeps the speeds down. Let Nascar go and you'll see 200 + on the track nothing winds like a small block!!!!!
Nice thing about this hobby is we are free to set our truck/car up the way we want. If we are not sure in this day of the Internet I am sure any info you need or want about set ups can be found!! There are different gear combinations that can achieve torque or low end and or High end it really depends on what one wants.

JCnBill
04-22-2004, 10:58 PM
For straight line, there is no substitute for a huge HP big block. Funny cars, drags do not have little screamers for engines. Even a novice racer would not dare show up with a 4 banger and you rarely ever see a 6.

Onto the completely different realm of R/C MTs... At the races, especially on short track courses, the throttle is just continuosly pumped, so it is torque that rules. In the corners, the Maxx has a lot to make up because off the corner, a BB is gonna eat up any gap in a hurry! The bursts of speed from the BB's is unreal. Down the straights, the comparison is not favorable for the little screamer. The REVO with a BB would have been insane - handling with raw torque to spare. Can you turn to your opponent and say, " O YEA, thats what I's talkin bout!" :p I do believe that big HP/torque would have fit nicely into the REVO CG/handling capability based equation.

that being said - there are a lot of factors in acceleration and top speed! In addition to hp and usable torque at the wheels, there is weight, gearing, drag, terrain, tires, yadda, yadda and yadda.

All of THAT being said,

:D

what does this thread have to do with the REVO? :confused:

wanabedriver
04-22-2004, 11:55 PM
well, if u increase the torque, u increase the horsepower.....

horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252

so, if u increase the torque, the horsepower will naturally increase too.

about nascar engine builders.... i would guess that they were working on RPM, to achive the higher horsepower.

if i remeber right, doesnt nascar start at a rolling start? the brute torque will help in acceleration, but if u dont have to worry about acceleration... plus there are no sharp turns to come out of...

also think about it..... there is that shuttle carrier... it moves at a walking pace, but has TONS of torque... hrmm....

but yea, how is this REVO related? shoulda threw this in the tmaxx forum; i think more people visit there.

NitroRossler
05-01-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by DaTMaxx
Horsepower Vs. Torque.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How come all of you Sport-maxxer's are putting smaller spur gears and bigger clutch bells in for more top speed?

Nascar for example:
You get these engine builders now days that are so obsessed with hp they totally ignore the torque facter when torque it's self is what puts the actual power to the rear wheels. When Nascar started increasing torque thats when they started going REEALLY!!! fast!!! Shooting for hp Nascar had speeds of 160-170mph When they started increasing torque they started going 180-190mph. Think about it.

Maybe you 2 wheel drive nitro racers 'outa try bigger spur gears in stead of smaller. Exspecialy the sport maxxer's that's what MONSTER TRUCKS are all about that LOW END car crushing climbing torque. Monster trucks arn't really about going super fast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a little something to think about. Try it!

I think the reason for the smaller spur gear a bigger clutch bell is not only for top speed but could be for something a little more important. TRACTION, my brother has a sportsmaxx and in the dirt it would just spin round so smaller spur larger clutch bell. Problem solved much more driveable

ammotroop
05-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Take a look at a dyno sheet from an engine (full size) and you will see that torque and hp cross at 5250 rpms (give or take). When they cross hp is rising and torque is dropping. When was the last time you saw a nascar motor turning 5,000 rpms other than under caution? Like some one sig said "hp is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
When you tune for torque it makes you quicker, when you tune for hp it makes you faster. BIG difference!

nitro_cow
05-02-2004, 09:51 PM
torque is how fast it can go in an alotted time hp is how easy it can do that work

TimmyMcOwnsYou
05-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Lets not forget the world of F1 racing. Considered to be the best, most exotic race cars on the planet, they hardly push over 300lb*ft of torque, yet make over 800hp at 18000rpms. Gearing can make up for a lack of torque, however, it cannot make up for a lack of horsepower.

T TO THE MAXX2
05-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Horse power is how hard ya hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall wit ya